Thread: 32bit Vegas & 64bit Windows

1. Default 32bit Vegas & 64bit Windows

I am thinking about moving my 32 bit Vegas Pro 9 to my second PC which is Windows 7 64bit simply to encourage it to work better with more RAM:

1. Will 32bit Vegas run OK on a 64bit Windows o/s?
    2. If so, will 32bit Vegas be able to make use of the extra RAM the 64bit o/s
    3. If so, why have a 64bit Vegas?
    4. If I downloaded the 64bit Vegas would my 32bit Key work with it - or would I have to cough up another indecent amount of 'hard earned' to get the 64bit version?

Finally, 32bit v 64bit are there noticeable differences / improvements is it worth the bother?

Castman
    Uses:
    Canon XH-G1
    Sony Vegas Pro 9e
    gallons of coffee

I can't answer your compatibility questions but I know it won't cost you any money to download the 64 bit version and try your Key with it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by castman View Post
    I am thinking about moving my 32 bit Vegas Pro 9 to my second PC which is Windows 7 64bit simply to encourage it to work better with more RAM:

1. Will 32bit Vegas run OK on a 64bit Windows o/s?
    Yes

2. If so, will 32bit Vegas be able to make use of the extra RAM the 64bit o/s
    No. 32bit programs can only address 2GB RAM.

3. If so, why have a 64bit Vegas?
    Not so. And this is why!

4. If I downloaded the 64bit Vegas would my 32bit Key work with it - or would I have to cough up another indecent amount of 'hard earned' to get the 64bit version?
    Your key will work on both. Indeed you are entitled to run both 32 and 64 bit versions - you may even have them installed on more than one computer. The licence resrtiction is that you may NOT actually be running it on more than one computer at the same time.
    This, in my mind, is what sensible and fair licensing is all about.

Finally, 32bit v 64bit are there noticeable differences / improvements is it worth the bother?
    I've not done it so can't comment personally. Access to additional RAM might mean more can be loaded before the program struggles and will almost certainly mean better rendering times.

The problem is one is not usually comparing like for like - ie one is normally loading 64 bit onto a different computer anyway.
    Tim

4. Default

Thank Tim for the explanation. I think I am tempted to give it a go especially in light of the excellent licensing agreement - as you correctly point out this is sensible

.... a pity car insurers don't think along those lines i.e. that you can only be driving one car at a time so why not just pay for the car of most value and any secondary car / van is just added

Castman
    Uses:
    Canon XH-G1
    Sony Vegas Pro 9e
    gallons of coffee

Blog Entries

.... a pity car insurers don't think along those lines i.e. that you can only be driving one car at a time so why not just pay for the car of most value and any secondary car / van is just added
    Health warning: I've written this below as I should be studying, but am finding a million and one other things to do rather than revise. It's probably not even right.

Very loosely, that's how car insurance does work. If you have fully comprehensive cover on a car, there is, broadly speaking, usually a clause which gives you 3rd party cover on other private vehicles that you do not own whilst you are driving them. This is based on the assumption that you cannot drive more than one vehicle at the same time. Insurance providers also now offer "multi-car policies", which give discounts on multiple products offered by the same company.

I would assume that policies do not cover more than one car as the insurance is greater in scope than accidental damage on the road. They also, typically, cover fire and theft, which is why your premiums are affected by your location - crime statistics are taken into account when quotes are provided for example. And, of course, you also have the option of having named drivers on the policy, meaning that in theory the car could be driven whilst the owner is driving another vehcile.

So, it would be sensible for the car to be insured, and not the driver. However, this would result in adverse selection. The insurance provider wouldn't know whether the car would be used by old or young, male or female etc. This would mean that, generally, the costs of insurance would go up. As the insurer wouldn't be able to control risk by segmenting the market, it is likely that, on average, the price of a policy would increase to cover this percieved risk.

The licence resrtiction is that you may NOT actually be running it on more than one computer at the same time.
    This, in my mind, is what sensible and fair licensing is all about.
    This is not atypical of many software licences. Adobe offer the same licence for Premiere, and iTunes allow up to 5 PCs to be authorised to play purchased music. These licences are a sensible and pragmatic solution to "sharing" intangible objects. DRM essentially turns something that you can't physically touch into a more "classical" unit. Namely that you can't use an item at the same time in two seperate locations. I've never had an issue with DRM, and I personally think that companies are now embracing "fair use" by either providing sensible licensing or by providing multi-tiered product downloads (e.g. films in both a portable and HD format for one price).

bear in mind that not all plug-ins will work with 64bit yet