Thread: 1080 or 720

Default 1080 or 720

My question here is what is the difference between the two, and which is better in the long run when filming for a 10 minute sequence between two actors?

Blog Entries

These merely make reference to the resolution of the video. They are both deemed as "High Definition" video (as oppossed to Standard Defintion), and refer to the number of horizontal lines that make up the picture. They are normally often suffixed with p or i, which indicate whether the frames are progressive or interlaced respectively. You may also see either 25, 30, 50 or 60 next to these numbers. These represent the frame rate of the video, i.e the number of frames show per second which make up the "moving" images.

In theory, the higher the video resolution (the highest here being 1080), the better the quality of the video. This assumes a given level of optics etc.

I am making an assumption that you are trying to decide whether to set your camera to shoot 1080i or 720p. If the footage is intended to be shown on the internet such as YouTube you would be better shooting 720p. If you will be burning to a DVD to be viewed on a HD TV choose 1080i.

Another thing to think about is, the higher the resolution the more powerful the computer you will need to view and edit the footage. So the lower the resolution the more it will be compatible with other people. Example: I can't view 1080 resolution on my computer, It's just not powerful enough but my computer is a few years old now.