Thread: Aspect Ratio Issues

Default Aspect Ratio Issues

Hi,

Before i start please let me explain i am not very technical minded so please be gentle !

I have just changed over from a Mini DV camcorder to a Samsung SMX-F30BP which takes a SDHC card, best i can describe it is i wanted a point and shoot that i can burn to DVD to watch on Widescreen TV as i could with the Mini DV.

However whatever i burn it has the 'black bars' either side and is not Widescreen, if i connect the Camcorder direct to the Widescreen Tv it is all ok ?

I have checked the setting on the camcorder and is ticked for 16:9, the software supplied was Cyberlink Mediashow i have checked that this is set to PALasnd 16:9 but still it burns at 4:3, i have also tried other software with the same result.

Any help would be much appreciated

Martin

Generally this type of thing occurs because the cam is not shooting "true" widescreen. Often the cam will have a 4:3 ratio CCD (the thing inside that detects the light from the scene) and then the software in the cam "letterboxes" or "crops" the footage as it is being shot, into a 16:9 appearance.

The problem is that many types of video editing software have trouble detecting how the footage has been taken and mistake it for 4:3. The real problem is that there is wide variation in how the camcorder manufacturers encode the footage and mark it as being 16:9. (Yes Sony... I am looking at you!)

The only solution I know of is to make sure your software is fully up to date in case the problem has been reported and fixed with a patch... or...

When you burn the DVD make sure you go into every little nook and cranny within the software's settings and keep making sure that 16:9 is still being selected for the output format.
    Last edited by lancecarr; 04-17-2010 at 05:15 PM.