Thread: Picking HDD setup with what I have

Default Picking HDD setup with what I have

I'm new to HD editing and I'm getting a new computer to handle it. I understand the ideal Hard Drive set up(for a beginner) is drive 1 for OS/Programs, Drive 2 for media (or raw footage files) and drive 3 for scratch files (or the actualy project files I'd be working with in my eiditor (Vegas Pro 9))

Due to budget restrictions, I can only get two drive of sucnificant size or use a 3rd drive that I already have but never used but its a WD 7200rpm Green. Should I:

1) just go with the two drive set up using drive 2 for my media and scratch files
    2) mix in that WD 750gb 7200rpm green as either my scratch drive or media drive

The computer will be an i7 920 with 9 or 12 gb ram

Blog Entries

You'll need as much space as you can get. With that in mind, you'll want to throw in the 750gb drive as a storage drive for backed up or archive media.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    Y... you'll want to throw in the 750gb drive as a storage drive for backed up or archive media.
    So using the green drive as a media drive would be ok, or only for a backup of media files and scratch files?

Or once I import my media files into my project file (im using Vegas Pro 9) does the media file no longer need to be access by Vegas (or whatever program I use?)

Blog Entries

Different people will give you different opinions on drive set up. The techies (who would sell their soul for an increased render time) would probably tell you to have one drive for the OS (in fact they would probably tell you to have two drives set up as RAID) and then a seperate drive for the media you're working on. It does however make for good housekeeping to keep things seperate: one drive for your OS and applications, another for videos you're currently creating, and then a third for archiving.

Vegas will always reference the original video files. However, all it needs to know is where they are so it can read them. When you import videos into Vegas, you're really only telling it where to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post

Vegas will always reference the original video files. However, all it needs to know is where they are so it can read them. When you import videos into Vegas, you're really only telling it where to find them.
    SEE! That's what I thought. That's why I'm so confused on the 3 drive set up thing. I sort of understand the 2 drive thing.

I'm not so much concerned with the rendering time oppose to the smoothness while editing and the play back.

That Being said, this seems to be sufficient for me

Drive 1: OS/Apps
    Drive 2: Media/Scratch files
    Drive 3: Backup of rendered files and possible media files

Hi Brian and Marc,

This post has started to clear some of the fog for me too!

I'm brand new to video production, and looking to get my head around a spec for a new build office PC that will handle some video work. I blog and sell text-based info products for a living, and now looking to progress to video content and producing 'how to' DVDs.

I want to build a PC that I can use for general office work, but also use to produce video content using Adobe Visual Communicator and probably an entry level editing program like Sony Movie Studio or Sony Vegas.

The need for a powerful CPU and lots of RAM is understandable, but I've been struggling to grasp what would be good options for HDD storage, especially as this is where it seems the bottelnecks can occur in the workflow?

At this point I'm thinking a triple drive set up would be more than adequate for my entry-level needs.

Drive #1 for OS and applications.

Drive #2 for video production work, probably a twin disk set up in RAID0 for speed and performance.

Drive #3 (much bigger) for archived media files, completed video projects, and all my other office and personal files, including music and photos, again another twin disk set up but this time in RAID1 for redundancy.

Am I on the right track, giving myself an ideal launch-pad system for video editing, or would this be complete overkill for getting started?

Cheers,

Paul

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Whelan View Post

Drive #1 for OS and applications.

Drive #2 for video production work, probably a twin disk set up in RAID0 for speed and performance.

Drive #3 (much bigger) for archived media files, completed video projects, and all my other office and personal files, including music and photos, again another twin disk set up but this time in RAID1 for redundancy.

Am I on the right track, giving myself an ideal launch-pad system for video editing, or would this be complete overkill for getting started?

Paul
    I'm fairly new to full fledged video productions myself, but after doing some research and reading a few post on this site, my drive set up is exactly how you mentioned. The exception is my 3rd drive is a little smaller, but since it is my storage drive, I'll probably just pop it out and replace it when it gets a bit over half full.

I don't know if the 3 drive set up is all that necessary, but I went that way just in case in the future ill need it.

An so far, I'm loving the 3 drive setup