Thread: J and L cut in Studio 11

Wink J and L cut in Studio 11

hello everyone, am new to the site and looking forward to learning from all you old pros here.

Introduction being made, while i am saving for an upgrade from Pinnacle to Sony Vegas, I must make do with what i currently have (Studio 11)

If anybody out there (anybody) has successfully J and/or L cut with this product can you please tell me how you did it.

I have done it before, totally by accident and was not meant to be used. But for the life of me I can not remember the mistakes I made that brought the J cut about.

I guess the first question would be, " can I seperate the video/audio line in Studio 11?

Thanks for your support

I think if you lock the audio track and do your cut of the video track. the lock the video track and unlock the audio track you can then edit the audio without affecting the video. If this is what you mean by an L cut.

Cool Pinnacle and land J cuts

hey thanks for a quick reply and i would gladly give locking the tracks independently and cutting a try, if i knew which command or which button did that.

i recently moved and the how to that came with it was lost or at very least, still mis-placed.

Any more leads?

and don't worry no blood pressure situation here, at least yet (lol)

thanks

Blog Entries

This is covered on page 101 to 105 of the manual, which is located online at ftp://ftp.pinnaclesys.de/Manual/Stud.../Studio_us.pdf. I have quoted below the relevant steps.

To perform an L-cut:
    1. Adjust the Timeline so you can easily count off the number of frames or seconds you want to overlap.
    2. Select the left-hand clip and trim its right edge to the point where you want the audio to end.
    3. Lock the audio track. Now drag the right-hand edge of the same clip’s video leftward to the point where the following clip’s video should start.
    4. With the audio track still locked, drag the second clip’s video to the left to meet the original clip. If there isn’t enough excess video at the start of the second clip to make this trim possible, you will first need to trim off a sufficient amount from both its video and audio then try again.
    5. Unlock the audio track.
    To perform a J-cut:
    1. Adjust the Timeline so you can easily count off the number of frames or seconds you want to overlap.
    2. As before, trim back the right edge of the left-hand clip, both video and audio, by the overlap interval.
    3. Lock the audio track. Now drag the right-hand edge of the same clip’s video back to the right by the overlap interval.
    4. Unlock the audio track. The audio now cuts away to the second clip ahead
    of the video.
    The procedures described above for the L-cut and the
    J-cut are not the only possibilities. With the J-cut, for
    example, another method would be to trim the righthand
    clip to the desired start point of the video then,
    with the video track locked, drag the audio portion
    leftwards to overlap the audio of the left-hand clip.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Marc Peters; 04-12-2010 at 07:40 PM.

Nice one Marc. To lock the track click on the lock icon (little picture of a padlock) found at the right hand side of the track/time-line.

Cool Pinnacle j and L cut

To both of you i say thank you.

i needed the manual so i appreciate the link download and now i know which icon to click to cut next self-defense project out of a sticking point.

now all i should need to do is a few practice runs first

thanks again