Thread: newbie, trying to put together an editing package

Default newbie, trying to put together an editing package

Hello,
    I am a builder, (the hammer and nails type) who has used photos and videos for several years to keep clients informed of projects and problems. It avoids so much confusion just to email or youtube a short view of progress. Especially when its somewhere you need a harness to get to. So I know some of the terminology but I have never been what you might call creative with editing.

This summer I have a large contract that I need to record in very good detail. So when I was offered a good deal on a canon Hfs100 I took it. Now I need a computer that can handle AVCHD. And it might also be nice somewhere down the line to edit together some of the more interesting jobs.

Having lurked on a few forums I have come to the following assumptions.

I need a quad core processor. Although no one seems to have stated a specific minimum requirement.
    I need plenty of memory. Some things never change.
    Graphics card is not essential but would help. I am thinking something along the lines of radeon 5570?
    And while a blu ray writer would seem an obvious choice for the amount of video I am going to need to archive, it seems like an expensive choice still so I am thinking maybe DVDs for a while yet?

Anyone care to comment? I haven't looked at a new computer in years so I am a bit vague on things like the current range of processors, or if external connections might be useful to me in the future. eSATA? Firewire?

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Graphics card is not essential
    OK this seems inaccurate now.

I have been studying CUDA and ATI stream, which help the GPU to assist more. So I really do need a decent graphics card after all then?

Cyberlink seem to be making the most of their hardware acceleration capabilities. But I have to assume that the big names are still a bit behind, after reading about this
    The french company Divide Frame released a plug-in for Adobe Premiere Pro and Sony Vegas Pro which is to accelerate AVCHD/QuickTime H.264 editing considerably. The plug-in named "GPU Decoder" uses Nvidias CUDA and PureVideo HD technology to speed up MPEG-4/AVC H.264 decoding. Price is 95$
    Doesn't change my original intention of buying a reasonable graphics card, but for someone like me who is basically a video novice, it does make Cyberlink look very attractive.

Friends have just bought an i5 and one a i7 both are finding they don't need any extras as it were although for viewing a good video card would be useful, but if I switch my video card off it doesn't make any difference to the speed of rendering which is something like 8x time real time, my setup is an Intel Core 2 Duo 3Ghz and XP but what really slows it down are things like color correction.

From what you say you will be exporting mpeg2 for authoring to DVD your main concern is to get a program that uses a good encoder something like MainConcept H264 Video codec, which is used by Premiere Pro CS4, so I would thing you have things pretty well sorted, just get a fastest processor and the rest will be handled by Premiere Pro CS4.

Bryan

I don't truthfully know what I will be doing. I just want to keep my options open since I don't buy computers very often.

Today I found this about Adobe Premiere Pro CS5

The Mercury Playback Engine can also harness hardware 3D acceleration. While previous versions of Premiere Pro had hardware support enabled for a handful of filter effects, this has now been built into the software at a much more fundamental level.
    The bad news is that Adobe's long-standing relationship with Nvidia for products such as the Quadro CX means that only CUDA-enabled graphics cards are supported, and only a subset thereof as well. At the time of writing, the list comprised of the GeForce GTX 285, Quadro FX 3800, 4800, 5800, and CX
    Courtesy of PCPRO

5. Default

Just don't forget to get a mac! win is useless.

Sounds like a good idea. What Mac can I get for under 800?

Default Computer for CS3 Premiere pro

Hello There. I am a student filmmaker and I am looking to buy a computer which can run Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 or CS4 smoothly. I have looked at this computer and was wondering if it would run either of the programmes well.

Thanks for your time. I am new to forums so am a bit confused as to where to post things .

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/acer-aspire-x3300-desktop-pc-20-monitor-04820891-pdt.html

Thanks again,

Ollie Williams
    Last edited by odw13film; 08-06-2010 at 03:58 PM. Reason: incorect

Hi, I think it would struggle to edit AVCHD, it depends on what you are editing.
    this benchmark test puts its score at 1603 so if you compare that with the Intel E8400 3Ghz with a score of 2242 that I use, with AVCHD 1920x1080i it takes about 7x real time to render even simple edits on CS4 and about 5x real time on Corel Video Studio Pro X3

Bryan

PassMark - CPU Benchmarks - List of Benchmarked CPUs