Thread: Help please with making a DVD/Video

Default Help please with making a DVD/Video

Hello,

I'm interested in making a DVD or Video showing the process of turning the thin wall vessels I make from wet timber. I would like to have the DVD running alongside my exhibitions to show the public more of the work involved in creating the pieces, from cutting the wet timber, the woodturning, airbrushing and final finishing.

I have no equipment and don't know the different formats available but would welcome any advice or direction of equipment needed and what is involved in making a DVD.

Regards....Mike
    So many trees, so little time, turn some wood.

Blog Entries

Welcome to the forums Mike.

That's a pretty broad question to ask . What equipment *do* you have - camcorder and PC are the fundamentals, so let's start there!

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome.

I have a decent PC but no camcorder, I can borrow one but would be prepared to buy one, so if you could start from there it would be a help.

Regards....Mike

whats your budget for the camera?

I guess the dvd will be shown on a smallish TV and won't be the main focal point of your display, so you don't need super high quality images, The best format to go for is probably mini-DV, and the prices for an entry level model start at about 250. Obviously you generally get what you pay for image quality-wise

You'll also need a tripod, because you'll be wanting a professional looking result and hand-held shots won't do your product any favours.

If you're planning on having a voice-over you might well need a microphone aswell, but if you just plan on having some music you could get away without one.

I guess you've got a dvd writer, so all you'll need is some editing and authoring software, there are loads of trials available of the major products, so you could experiment until you find one that you like which does the job.
    Panasonic SD9, Panasonic NVGS-75, Canon MV600i

Hi bgarthp,

I have no fixed budget but in theregion of 600 to 800 for all my needs, I have a fair bit of experience taking still images for my web site so I have a tripod available.

I understand how still images get onto a card but I'm totally in the dark about how images are recorded onto a DVD, is there anywhere I can look for basic tutorials?

I have a CD - RW on my PC I'm guessing the DVD writer is something else I would need to add?

Thanks for the help.

Regards....Mike

Mike: let me try to help out here. Apologies if what I'm going to say is a little low level and is insulting, but...

1. You record your video, ideally in miniDV format (very small magnetic cassette, used by all moden digital cemcorders).

2. You connect your digital camcorder to your PC, ideally via a Firewire capture port on your PC. Again, Firewire is pretty much the standard.

3. On your PC needs to be a bit of software that allows you to capture video. Windows XP comes with Windows Movie Maker (WMM) as standard, and WMM will do this capturing for you. There are many, many other video capture/editing packages available - many on this board swear by Adobe Premiere and its little brother, Premiere Elements.

4. You now switch on your digital camcorder in playback mode, fire up your video capture software and start the transfer process.

5. The capture puts digital video (.avi file) on your hard drive. It can take a whole lot of space. Capture will be a whole lot better on a well defragged disk.

6. Now, chances are, you'll want to edit your 'raw' video. You'll do this (typically) with the same piece of software you used to capture it in the first place. WMM can do this.

7. Once you've got your video into a state that you're happy with, you'll want to transfer it to DVD. For this, you'll need a) a DVD authoring software package, such as Adobe Encore and b) as you've surmised, a DVD burner for your PC. This will allow you to create a DVD that will play on any PC or 'set top' DVD player. You can do menus etc., but more importantly, it will convert your edited .avi files into MPEG (the kind of video DVDs understand) and into a structure that DVDs need.

And that's about it. So your basic requirements are:

1. A PC with a relatively fast processor (1.5GHz+), as much memory as you can muster (512MB is generally accepted as the least you can get away with), a large, well-defragged hard drive, a DVD writer and a 1394/Firewire port.

2. A digital camcorder, complete with cable that will allow you to attach it to the Firewire port on your PC

3. Software to a) capture and edit your videos, and b) to author them to DVD.

Does that help?
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

Ian,

Thanks for the reply, that's excellent, just what I was looking for, I'll study your reply and I'm sure I'll be back in the very near future.

Thanks again.

Regards....Mike

Mike, my pleasure. This caught my eye:

"Videographers make the craft of capturing and editing video look very easy, it is, to them, they have many years of valuable experience and most of them are willing to pass it on. The worst thing that can happen is for the newcomer to go straight out, buy a camcorder and PC, set the whole lot up, plug in and switch on. The camcorder whirs into life, the PC starts to do its stuff - and before you know where you are, you're suffering substantial emotional injury, suddenly the camcorder and everything else is quickly forgotten and left in the workshop to rust."

Sound familiar?
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...