Thread: Demo-Reel

1. Default Demo-Reel

Hey all,

For a position that I'm applying to, it required a demo-reel. So, I made one. And now it's online. Would love to hear all of your opinions on here and would also love lots of 5 star ratings on the vid to help me get the position

Take a peek:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLx5yWcPnMM]YouTube - Demo Reel - Jamie Franz Hoover.mpg[/ame]

Blog Entries

Just an observation...

This is the third film you've posted here looking for comments and/or hits.

Despite saying in your first post "Hi there; new to the forums, hope to get involved in more discussions now that I've found it." you've yet to comment on anyone else's work.

That's not really playing the game and is probably why you've received no feedback.
    Tim

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Just an observation...

This is the third film you've posted here looking for comments and/or hits.

Despite saying in your first post "Hi there; new to the forums, hope to get involved in more discussions now that I've found it." you've yet to comment on anyone else's work.

That's not really playing the game and is probably why you've received no feedback.
    You're right, I haven't replied to any other videos and I should. I have been around, watching, but never have really been looking to engage in conversation for whatever reason. That's exactly what I'm looking for, and I'm not doing it for others, so I will start doing that. Cheers.

Blog Entries

Excellent! Welcome to the fray.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Seeing as you've now been commenting on just about every video posted, I thought I'd better do the decent thing and comment on this, seeing as it was I who nagged you

This is a little difficult to comment on. I think it suffers as a demo reel in that you know the films it is showing. Placing a lot of clips from different films - especially films which are clearly unrelated and in a variety of styles - over a piece of music shows no more than your ability with camera and lights. It might show a bit in the way of editing skills but as the segments are out of context it may or may not do them justice.

If you only want to show your camera skills then this is fine, but a shame as you obviously have so much more to offer (advertising yourself as write/director as you do)

Consequently the dialog bit at the end was much more powerful - and I wonder whether you couldn't have used more "mini scenes", perhaps interspersed with sections of montage.

I did think, however, that the different styles of shooting were shown off to good effect. One dodgy bit which did jump out was the focusing on the dice in the Monopoly game, we went from out of focus to in focus, then it briefly flipped out of focus again, which may go unnoticed in the film, but in a showreel where we're only treated to a few seconds of the shot rather draws attention to itself. (The fix here is easy, you are very lucky that you could simply repeat the "in focus" frame for as long as necessary then cut to where it's next in focus - there's nothing else moving, no shadows or anything)

The other thing I didn't like was the fact that it was 4:3 with some 16:9 letterboxed within that. This (a) runs the risk of looking "old fashioned" to prospective clients and (b) looks really lousy on most sharing sites which are now set up for 16:9 - so your 16:9 footage is shown letterboxed within 4:3 which is then pillarboxed - giving you a massive black border around a piddly picture.

I'd be inclined to distribute in 16:9 and pillar box the 4:3 (or even have different versions for different target media).
    Tim

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Seeing as you've now been commenting on just about every video posted, I thought I'd better do the decent thing and comment on this, seeing as it was I who nagged you

This is a little difficult to comment on. I think it suffers as a demo reel in that you know the films it is showing. Placing a lot of clips from different films - especially films which are clearly unrelated and in a variety of styles - over a piece of music shows no more than your ability with camera and lights. It might show a bit in the way of editing skills but as the segments are out of context it may or may not do them justice.

If you only want to show your camera skills then this is fine, but a shame as you obviously have so much more to offer (advertising yourself as write/director as you do)

Consequently the dialog bit at the end was much more powerful - and I wonder whether you couldn't have used more "mini scenes", perhaps interspersed with sections of montage.

I did think, however, that the different styles of shooting were shown off to good effect. One dodgy bit which did jump out was the focusing on the dice in the Monopoly game, we went from out of focus to in focus, then it briefly flipped out of focus again, which may go unnoticed in the film, but in a showreel where we're only treated to a few seconds of the shot rather draws attention to itself. (The fix here is easy, you are very lucky that you could simply repeat the "in focus" frame for as long as necessary then cut to where it's next in focus - there's nothing else moving, no shadows or anything)

The other thing I didn't like was the fact that it was 4:3 with some 16:9 letterboxed within that. This (a) runs the risk of looking "old fashioned" to prospective clients and (b) looks really lousy on most sharing sites which are now set up for 16:9 - so your 16:9 footage is shown letterboxed within 4:3 which is then pillarboxed - giving you a massive black border around a piddly picture.

I'd be inclined to distribute in 16:9 and pillar box the 4:3 (or even have different versions for different target media).
    Thanks for the great feedback Tim. I agree with you on just about everything. Looking back, it was a bit of rush job as a couple of positions I was applying for were requesting one. I didn't get either position.

The mini scenes idea really is the best way to do it.

The Monopoly focus thing, I had actually originally kept in on purpose. I looked at it both ways, and thought the focus scheme added a dramatic effect. So was on purpose, even if didn't quite work.

That's probably a good call on the aspect ratios too. I didn't even look at it both ways.

Unfortunately, it's probably going to remain as is. I've investing all my free hours into writing/producing/directing my feature debut. I'm working on a 3rd edit (although, major edit) of a script I've been working on for the last few years that I feel I'm finally ready to shoot (skills/knowledge/experience). Aiming for this edit to be done by month end, and final (well, never final...) script ready by mid July. It's something I know I can shoot very cheap, and I already have some potential investment monies (mainly product placement, aspects already in the script).

I'm going to try and shoot for filming this over August/September. Have first edit done before the year. Final BetaCam copy ready to go for my cities major film festival (where I worked previouslly) at the beginning of February. I know, probably sounds overly ambitious, and really it is, but it's what I'm shooting for, and hopefully everything falls into place nicely and quickly.

I'm going to keep it to about 70 pages. Limited locations, that I can access for free. Somewhat limited characters/extras. I'm used to shooting with small crews. Probably team of 6, Fri-Sun shoots for 2 months. 4 pages a day and I'm still fine time wise.

Anyhow, way off topic, but all that to say, demo reel is stuck as is for now likely.
    Last edited by jamiefranz; 05-07-2010 at 09:24 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jamiefranz View Post
    I didn't get either position.
    Bummer. Better luck next time.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiefranz View Post
    Unfortunately, it's probably going to remain as is.
    No biggie. Current work is always more important.
    Thanks for feeding back and did I say good luck?
    Tim

8. Default

Thanks, I'll need it.