Thread: Best format to render with

1. Default Best format to render with

Hi guys, I use Vegas Pro 9.0 for my shooting video's for YT where I set up the camera at the target end and another camera at the shooting end, which means I can shoot and include a live view of the target for viewers (works well)

Basically I have a new camera Sony DCR-SR55 which records in MPEG-2, I also have a Nokia N95 which records in 5mp .Mp4.

My old Sony recorded in avi, I used to crop the Avi + it ontop of the mp4 vid, then render whole video as AVI NTSC DV making a 1gig big !

But now my new camera it is Mpeg-2 and stil using mp4 for main video, which format should I render the video as to save loss of quality please ?

many thanks

DB

PS : as a reference here is a link to what I mean about what I do

If these videos are to put up on YouTube I would render them as mpeg2. I know some people prefer mpeg4 but I've had more success with mpeg2. To keep the quality as good as possible set the bit rate to at least 8Mb. I have a slow PC so I choose single pass just to render faster but if you have a fast PC you might want to choose two passes I've found it can improve the quality of motion shots.

Also use progressive as this is usually the better setting than interlaced for viewing on computer screens. To really try and squeeze the best out of YouTube set the size to 1280 x 720 so YouTube sees it as HD.

Hope this helps.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    If these videos are to put up on YouTube I would render them as mpeg2. I know some people prefer mpeg4 but I've had more success with mpeg2. To keep the quality as good as possible set the bit rate to at least 8Mb. I have a slow PC so I choose single pass just to render faster but if you have a fast PC you might want to choose two passes I've found it can improve the quality of motion shots.

Also use progressive as this is usually the better setting than interlaced for viewing on computer screens. To really try and squeeze the best out of YouTube set the size to 1280 x 720 so YouTube sees it as HD.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks mate, i will give it a shot !!!

cheers

"so I choose single pass just to render faster but if you have a fast PC you might want to choose two passes I've found it can improve the quality of motion shots". Just learning sony movie studio 9.0. We have the option to render in multiple passes to improve quality? That's interesting. Learning stuff all the time. Where in settings would I find this setting? Thanks for the guidance!

I presume movie studio will be similar to Vegas Pro. Next to the template box is a button called Custom. Click on it and all the custom settings are available to you, toward the bottom of the options is the single or two pass option along with the variable or fixed bit rate option.

Like I said I'm presuming your program will be similar to the Pro version but maybe not exactly the same.