Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sending video via email, please help

Default Sending video via email, please help

Hi All,

I made a 14 minute piece full of video, 200 still-photos, transitions and effects. I'm trying to send it to my father via email for his birthday. I've saved it in a bunch of formats. The smallest one is 120Megabytes. America online's email only allows an email attachment upto 16MB. Creating a Zip file doesn't come close.

...How can I get it to him?

...or 1. Is there an email service that allows large attachments?
    2. What do I need to do to upload it to a free public website?
    (AVI format is 1 Gigabyte, while VCD is 130MB, ....not much difference between the two)

If I save it on CD rom, it won't get there in time

Thanks for your input,
    Jason

Blog Entries

You need to use a codec with a high compression rate such as MPEG4. There's two popular "non-microsoft" MPEG4 codecs available in the form of DivX and Xvid. These are great codecs which, combined with low resolutions, will get your video down to 16MB file size. I use VirtualDub to encode using these codecs; you can find a guide to VirtualDub on my site and a a google search will get you the codecs themselves.

Although these codecs work wonders, the end user will have to download and install them if they don't already have them. One idea is to Zip up the videos with the ffdshow filters which will allow playback, but it involves the end user actually doing something

Another alternative is to encode to WMV. You can do this with Windows Media Encoder (a free download from the MS site). If you encode using WMV8, the video will be playable on just about any windows box out there. In an ideal world, I'd use Xvid, but alas not everyone had the necesary codecs, so I tend to use WMV for downloadaable clips.

Theres a guide to windows media encoder on my website.

Default sounds good

Marc, I think I downloaded Virtual Dub a few days ago, but have yet to install it. I'm gonna get into that later tonight. I've read so many of your guides in the last few days that I'm not sure if I read the one on VirtualDub, but I probably did somewhat because I downloaded. Or did I?

Anyway, WMV was the first format that I saved it in. I wasn't satisfied with the quality. I saved the first 30 seconds and that was already 2MB, so I doubt 15 minutes will be under 16MB. I suppose my solution is to cut it in half and send the two in WMV. After getting a taste of low quality, then he can receive a cdrom in the mail with the good version.

But as to my other question, is there a guide out there that instructs on how to put a video on a webpage? I'm sure I can figure it out on my own, but I get so many results in my "internet searches" that I need some guidance.

P.S. Marc, I have those still-frame clips on my computer. Should I send them to you in WMV or MPEG or what? MB limit? ttylater

Blog Entries

Take a look at the HTML code of this page: http://www.marcpeters.co.uk/example-videos.html for an idea of how to incorporate video on webpages.

Blog Entries

WMV is fine, don't worry too much about the file size as long as it's less than 5MB

Default Any occupation in some soups?

I initiate a uncut sort of soups that inquire extraordinary, and can be made in big batches and frozen. Is there any interest?

Blog Entries

Mods - lets leave the above up - clearly it is from an alien intelligence attempting first contact...

Blog Entries

As for your video - I would break it into chunks.
    16 meg and 14 mins gives a bit rate of about 133 kbit/sec - not enough for a good result.

250 kbit /sec is the minimum watchable really.

Split into 2 or 3 chunks and set a min bit rate of 250 kbit / sec if you decide to use wmv.

Or it may be best to use one of these online hosting sites and send the whole lot, or msn it if you have a decent connection to the person you want to send to.

Blog Entries

Some stuff about compression and video - all vegas / wmv specific but the background stuff may be helpful.

Digital Video Editing Guides: Digital Director - features - Video Compression for Web Streaming

The easiest way is to upload it somewhere and send the receiver a download link. That way you'll be able to keep the quality you have now.

Game Downloads, Game Patches - FileFront.com

for example takes up to 1 GB files and also video. If you create an account, you can delete the file afterwards.

If you want to embed your video in an email, you can just host it on any videosite (youtube for instance) and use the embed code in your email's HTML (allthough this can get blocked by certain firewalls/spamfilters/etc. and won't allow to autoplay from an email)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast