Thread: Beautiful World

Default Beautiful World

This video is basically a compialation of clips that I have recorded over the past 12 months after getting my first camcorder. =)

The music is Ecstasy of Gold, by Ennio Morricone.

I hope it's as good to watch as it was fun to edit!

2. Default

That was really good. Some lovely film clips given emotional power by a great piece of music. It shows the power of combining film & music.
    I always assosciate that music with The Good the Bad & the Ugly & didnt think it was going to work with the English countryside, but it did.
    Ennio Morricone is a bit of a god to me & I would have been quite negative if the film clips werent up to the standard of the music.
    I'm going to watch it again.
    (I'm still trying to forgive Metallica's abominable version of this).

Sarah
    Last edited by Sarah & Allison; 04-03-2010 at 09:24 PM.

Blog Entries

I'm not usually one for scenic compilation montages, but this compilation had a real character of its own. There were some great shots and one never knew what was coming next. I absolutely loved it. The only negative in my view was the vignetting - unnecessary.

Gotta agree with Sarah about the music. Great imagination to figure that that piece would work with that footage.

And I wouldn't forgive Metallica for anything!
    Tim

Terrific stuff Matt. You seem to be as good with the camera as you are with the sound editing. Great shots.

Well done.

5. Default

Beautifully done ! and the music is wonderful !!

Beautiful images perfectly complimented by an inspired choice of music. The different choices of grading really pushed the quality for me. I assume you used Magic Bullet Looks. I bought it recently but I've not had much chance to you use it, but this is a great advert for it. I recognise the tilt shift in some of the earlier shots and of course, the vignetting, which I like a lot.

I really liked some of the subtle camera movement. Was this handheld or on a steadicam device? How did you capture the timelapse footage? Was this with the camcorder and a great deal of time and patience?

Great work!

you used the holy grail of sound tracks ..... i'll let you off because surprisingly, it works with the footage.

some very nice shots indeed and exactly the kind of thing ilike.

we should be tired of magic bullet by now but for the most part it worked very well with your film.

very enjoyable.

Blog Entries

Two things which really annoy me are:

(1) using wonderful music for mediocre images and

(2) excessive use of post production (especially "magic bullet") to rescue mediocre images.

...neither applies in your case.

There are some excellent images there and the effects enhance them without going over the top. The music was right on the limit in that it just stopped short of becoming bombastic yet still managed to play with the emotions enough that it worked well.
    The small camera movements really appealed to me. I suppose you could call them pseudo-crane or pseudo-dolly shots. I liked the way they bought an added dimension into otherwise static views. I also really like the way you get down low in a lot of your compositions.

For me though, the most praiseworthy consideration is that the shots were (mostly) rock steady apart from intentional camera movements. These are not suitable images for crash-zooms and MTV pans and wobbles.

Okay, so maybe I will now consider getting "Magic Bullet"....

Thanks for all the positive comments, it's really appreciated.

The only negative in my view was the vignetting - unnecessary.

I found that some scenes really benefited from it, helping to frame the subject and direct the eye. I suppose I might have used it unnecessarily in a couple of scenes though.

I really liked some of the subtle camera movement. Was this handheld or on a steadicam device? How did you capture the timelapse footage? Was this with the camcorder and a great deal of time and patience?

Yeah, all of the shots with movement are handheld.

One or two of the timelapse scenes were recorded using the camcorder. I simply left it recording on a tripod after setting the shutter speed to the lowest value (6), so that there will be adequate motion blur for smooth motion when sped up 8 times. Why 8 times? Well, it basically makes a 180 degree shutter speed emulation, which is apparently what you should use in 25p for smooth motion.

The other timelapse scenes were taken using my digital camera and a rubber band (see this if you're interested http://www.videoforums.co.uk/user-vi...xperiment.html ).

Okay, so maybe I will now consider getting "Magic Bullet"....

It does help a lot in the speed and the options available to your creative fingertips. I recommend it!

However, I've found that a considerable amount of the grading that can be done in Magic Bullet Looks can be done to some degree of similarity using the provided plugins on Sony Vegas. It's slower and more difficult, though.

I have to agree with most of the comments above, some beautiful scenes shot very well on the whole. The train track I especially liked.

I was almost put off right at the beginning though at the second shot, you crossfaded into a zoom of the sheep followed by a noticeable wobble, really didn't sit well with my eye. But other than that, lovely.