Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Ever Music Video (Hip-Hop)

1. Default My First Ever Music Video (Hip-Hop)

Ok well this is my first ever music video..

I have a Canon HFS11 ... I converted the AVCHD with Cineform Neo Scene .. and edited in Premiere.

I know i have some motion problems? I guess this is from moving with the camera, which i have learnt i shouldn't do?? This video is not aimed to be played on TV or anything commercial.. just for youtube etc.

Erm i would love all your criticisms good or bad.. the bad things would be better lol.. so i know where i am going wrong.

Please let me know your feedback:

Last edited by foztee; 04-03-2010 at 05:44 PM.

Blog Entries

As far as the music is concerned - it was hilarious. The lead "rapper" just sounded like a 15 year old pretending and lines about sucking parts of his anatomy just creased me up. Mind you that garden gnome form n-dubz looks younger than 15.

The falsetto vocal with the bits of auto-tune was good though. And I liked the groove of the thing.

But who am I to judge? I still think Led Zeppelin and Yes are where it's at (man)

As for the video.

The style is a problem. We are so used to seeing this sort of thing shot in LA with loads of bling and fast cars and babes shakin their booty, that a damp afternoon by a railway arch in NW1 (or wherever) is always goingto look out of place. However I think it's brave to try it so all credit to you.

Some bad points:

Camera movement isn't bad per se. In fac you often need to generate movement by moving the camera and the handhelp look of this is in keeping with the genre.

However, there is loads and loads an loads of zooming in and out. Don't. Don't zoom. Don't "hose" (search around for something to focus on). Every move must have a purpose.

Think about composition. At least point your camera in the right direction. Far too many shots seemed to be of people's necks rather than their heads.

Make sure you mix up close ups and wide shots. Look for different angles as well (I realise you did a bit of this, but try to do two or three different angles of one person in one place, rather than different angles in different "scenes")

If you've got an attractive girl in the video, use her. Not just the one rather forced running her tongue across her mouth - have her shakin' her stuff OR give her a more dominant role (pushing one of the guys around, or oulling him to her)

And get some shots of stuff other than faces. Lets see close ups of hands, asses, feet. Some shotes from behind. Shots of stuff around the talent.

Just some ideas...

Off to listen to Tales From Topographic Oceans now....
    Tim

3. Default

The music is quite good ! One idea for improving the video is to edit it more to the beat. There is quite a strong beat and editing with crisp cuts to match this will make the video
    'swing' more with the music. Also any needed zooming can be added in the editing program. But, you need a better editor than WMM.
    Anyway, well done !!

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by MissLizzy View Post
    The music is quite good ! One idea for improving the video is to edit it more to the beat. There is quite a strong beat and editing with crisp cuts to match this will make the video
    'swing' more with the music. Also any needed zooming can be added in the editing program. But, you need a better editor than WMM.
    Anyway, well done !!
    Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    As far as the music is concerned - it was hilarious. The lead "rapper" just sounded like a 15 year old pretending and lines about sucking parts of his anatomy just creased me up. Mind you that garden gnome form n-dubz looks younger than 15.

The falsetto vocal with the bits of auto-tune was good though. And I liked the groove of the thing.

But who am I to judge? I still think Led Zeppelin and Yes are where it's at (man)

As for the video.

The style is a problem. We are so used to seeing this sort of thing shot in LA with loads of bling and fast cars and babes shakin their booty, that a damp afternoon by a railway arch in NW1 (or wherever) is always goingto look out of place. However I think it's brave to try it so all credit to you.

Some bad points:

Camera movement isn't bad per se. In fac you often need to generate movement by moving the camera and the handhelp look of this is in keeping with the genre.

However, there is loads and loads an loads of zooming in and out. Don't. Don't zoom. Don't "hose" (search around for something to focus on). Every move must have a purpose.

Think about composition. At least point your camera in the right direction. Far too many shots seemed to be of people's necks rather than their heads.

Make sure you mix up close ups and wide shots. Look for different angles as well (I realise you did a bit of this, but try to do two or three different angles of one person in one place, rather than different angles in different "scenes")

If you've got an attractive girl in the video, use her. Not just the one rather forced running her tongue across her mouth - have her shakin' her stuff OR give her a more dominant role (pushing one of the guys around, or oulling him to her)

And get some shots of stuff other than faces. Lets see close ups of hands, asses, feet. Some shotes from behind. Shots of stuff around the talent.

Just some ideas...

Off to listen to Tales From Topographic Oceans now....
    Thank you for your feedback Tim

About the Camera movement and zooming.. i didn't actually use zoom much, it was more me talking up to their faces with the camera.. So should i avoid doing this? And for the next shoot i will def have a purpose for every move!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by foztee View Post

About the Camera movement and zooming.. i didn't actually use zoom much, it was more me talking up to their faces with the camera.. So should i avoid doing this?
    You're right. My bad. This was probably why it made me even more seasick than zooming! Personally I'd avoid it. However I can see that it's part of the "style" of hip-hop vids, but I found it rather over used here.

And Lizzy is right - I meant to mention that. The transitions (and you really should limit these to one or two which really work with the music rather than lots of different ones - otherwise you run the risk of looking like a kid who's been let loose in the sweetshop) act to "soften" the video. Some good hard cuts to the beat (mix fast cuts with longer sections for variety) will help emphasise the beat and make it much harder hitting.
    Tim

6. Default

I cant stand arrogance so needless to say I'm not a huge fan of rap music, but I can appreciate creativity & innovation in any genre of music.
    Unfortunately that song /performance had neither , it was in my view cliched, stereotyped, talentless imitation.
    So why make your video to the same formula?
    You seem like a nice guy & for a first video it was good, but why not use your imagination & try something different for the next one.
    I realise you've got to give the customer what he wants, but who wants a carbon copy of everybody else's mediocre rap video.
    If the artist wants to stand out from all the others & you do too, give him something original. If rap music dictates all videos must be like that one, then bend the rules so you keep the faith but add something new.

Sarah
    Last edited by Sarah & Allison; 04-04-2010 at 12:35 AM.

I think the others have pick out the pits you can improve on already so I'll just say follow Sarah's advice and try something more creative and different. Just keep an eye on the lighting there where times when you lost a lot of detail from poor lighting. I know for you that meant sun light or should I say lack of sun light.

I think for your first music video it wasn't bad. I'm sure you have already learnt a lot from doing it so your next one will be better.

Good luck. Be nice to the ladies

Default It's a Rap!

Boyz in da hood giving it large with big lix
    Cruzing on twenty-twos in da ghetto just for kix
    Popping a nine wid ma bitch on a Eastside rap
    This aint no gansta, just a vanilla Spinal Tap.

of its type and considering its your first effort i think you did OK

more than anything else, loose the various swipe transitions

Blog Entries

There's no point in me sticking the boot in.

Sarah and Allison have hit the creative nail on the head, Tim has pointed out a lot, enc given a very valid comment and sspeiper has summed it up remarkably well.

You've got useful feedback here lads and it's now up to you. Either you can think "old farts, what do they know" or you can take the comments on board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast