Thread: Can't open drag onto/play videos in timeline

Default Can't drag onto/play videos in timeline

Using Vegas Pro 8.0c. Recently bought a new computer, I had backed up my Vegas project before this. Installed Vegas and all was looking fine until I opened my old project and the video wouldn't play and it's just white with "Media offline" in the timeline (the music works fine). Made sure the paths are correct but still nothing. Tried dragging clips onto the timeline and it just stays as the red cricle sign and won't let me do it even in new projects. I downloaded some codecs (divx, xvid, klite pack) hoping it would fix it but it didn't do anything. Thing is I can play the raw clips in other programs like VLC and media player classic just fine, anybody with any idea of how to fix this would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
    Last edited by Aurorae; 04-01-2010 at 01:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurorae View Post
    Recently bought a new computer, . . . . Installed Vegas
    - How? What was your process in installing?

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    - How? What was your process in installing?
    uh I still had the zip of the installer etc on my external from my old computer, copied it onto the new one and installed it.

Whenever I have needed to install on a new, updated PC I have had to get a new activation code directly from SONY. The activation code allows that version of Vegas to be active on that new PC. Have you done this?

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    Whenever I have needed to install on a new, updated PC I have had to get a new activation code directly from SONY. The activation code allows that version of Vegas to be active on that new PC. Have you done this?
    I put in the same activation code yeah, it wasn't a new one from sony though.

Also I just noticed that my intro (its like 5 seconds) is wmv and works fine, I'm also able to drag and drop it onto the timeline again, it's just the other clips that are the problem which are avi.

The process should be that when Vegas is installed you enter the SERIAL number for that Version - yours - and then at a point when you fire-up Vegas you are requested for an ACTIVATION key, and that you get from SONY. What the AK is for is to allow that version to be used on that pc. Is that the process you followed?

So:

1] The SN is for the released version of Vegas. This allows Vegas to fire-up.

2] The AK is for that same version to be used on that specific pc, and that pc only.

So did you use 2 sets of numbers? If you didn't then I have nothing further to add, 'cos I don't know how you got so far? And subsequently I wouldn't like to speculate as to what issues you may or may not have.

Yes I entered both the serial number and activation code when I installed...

Well, and as you said you didn't get a new number from SONY, then I would humbly suggest that your installation isn't as it should. I can only offer you my experience, and that which I follow as advised by SONY.

Every time I have installed on a new/updated pc I have needed to get to SONY for a new AK. If you haven't, and you can get as far as you have, then I don't know what else to say other than speculation that you have an installation that has happened without a new Activation key, and that, for whatever reason, you can get so far, but here Vegas is somehow baulking at finding its way to your media - which you know works in other readers.

It's odd that you can install and make Vegas "work" without a new AK for that pc. Maybe Vegas is trying to tell you something?