Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kit for shooting football

1. Default Kit for shooting football

I've had a quick search but can't find anything recent and I figure answers are changing with technology and pricing.

Anyway my question is, what kind of kit would I need to film my local team's football games?

I'm a student so my budget isn't massive, so I'm definitely looking at the cheapest possible option for this. Also this is my first camera so I don't want to break the bank just yet.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice anyone can give.

2. Default

Anyone?

For example, would this be any good or totally useless?

Sanyo Xacti VPC-CG10

Sanyo Xacti VPC-CG10 10mp 5x Optical Zoom High Definition Widescreen Video Capture Camcorder - Black - Ebuyer

Blog Entries

This is a question that deserves more than the 2 mins I have spare I'm afraid. However, as noone else has chipped in yet, I'll make a start.

My first advice is to buy an inexpensive piece of kit, particularly if this is just for fun. It'll give you the feel for holding a camera, framing shots and editing that any camera will give. However, you'll want something you can edit easily without hassles. Based on both of those, I recommend you buy a mini DV camera from ebay for about 100.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    This is a question that deserves more than the 2 mins I have spare I'm afraid. However, as noone else has chipped in yet, I'll make a start.

My first advice is to buy an inexpensive piece of kit, particularly if this is just for fun. It'll give you the feel for holding a camera, framing shots and editing that any camera will give. However, you'll want something you can edit easily without hassles. Based on both of those, I recommend you buy a mini DV camera from ebay for about 100.
    Brilliant, thank you for taking time to reply.

Although it is just for fun, the football club want me to edit the footage and put it on to Youtube. Will a mini DV give me the results they're looking for? (I see you only have 2 minutes so this is an open question )

EDIT:

Just looking around I see that mini DVs use tapes (showing the extent of my knowledge) so this probably isn't what I'm after. I should've said I need it to go on to Youtube in my initial post.

I'm guessing I would need something that writes to an SD card?
    Last edited by TP_monkey; 04-01-2010 at 05:12 PM.

Any digital camera will be able to be transfered on to a computer for editing. Mini DV Tape cameras have been doing this function for years and is therefore a very reliable way of doing it. Once the video is captured from the tape you can edit it, then render a file ready to upload to YouTube. The only thing you need to make sure is that your computer has a firewire ( IEEE 1394 ) socket as this is the way you need to connect the camera to the computer.

Having said all that the trend in modern cameras is to record on to memory cards.

Your question is actually very large, your basically saying tell me everything about videography. As for the camera I think you may have to go for a used one to keep the price in your range. Just do lots of trolling around review sites to get a feel about the cameras and see what's available on Ebay.

Another thing which I think would be essential for you is a tripod. I'm sure you have seen plenty of examples very wobbly footage which is barley watchable. A tripod will help you with this issue. This is especially important as you will be doing a lot of zoom shots. Something like a Velbon DV-7000 (around 90) will be ok for starters.

You will need a computer which you already have and editing software. I would recommend something like Sony Vegas Movie Studio (around 40) but you could see is the free Windows Movie Maker is adequate for you.

So I reckon you should be able to get started for as little as 250.

Hope this helps.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Any digital camera will be able to be transfered on to a computer for editing. Mini DV Tape cameras have been doing this function for years and is therefore a very reliable way of doing it. Once the video is captured from the tape you can edit it, then render a file ready to upload to YouTube. The only thing you need to make sure is that your computer has a firewire ( IEEE 1394 ) socket as this is the way you need to connect the camera to the computer.

Having said all that the trend in modern cameras is to record on to memory cards.

Your question is actually very large, your basically saying tell me everything about videography. As for the camera I think you may have to go for a used one to keep the price in your range. Just do lots of trolling around review sites to get a feel about the cameras and see what's available on Ebay.

Another thing which I think would be essential for you is a tripod. I'm sure you have seen plenty of examples very wobbly footage which is barley watchable. A tripod will help you with this issue. This is especially important as you will be doing a lot of zoom shots. Something like a Velbon DV-7000 (around 90) will be ok for starters.

You will need a computer which you already have and editing software. I would recommend something like Sony Vegas Movie Studio (around 40) but you could see is the free Windows Movie Maker is adequate for you.

So I reckon you should be able to get started for as little as 250.

Hope this helps.
    Again, thank you very much for your advice.

I see, well I'll start looking around for miniDVs. I'll stick to electrical brands I've heard of unless someone suggests something in particular.

Also noted the advice about the tripod, thanks.

All I'm doing to start with is simple cuts and graphics (score in top left corner, etc) so I'm guessing (hoping?) Windows Movie Maker would be good enough for now.

Thanks again for the advice. I might report back if I find a camera that looks good and maybe someone could confirm if it's any good or not? Don't wanna blow my budget on something useless.

7. Default

Hmm.. Should I be looking for something like the Samsung VP-D101 Mini DV or the Sony DCR-VX2000E?

Both come under the 'Mini DV' search on eBay but they seem very different..

The Sony is quite some camera if it's in full working order, I would expect it to go for more than the current bid price of 99.

9. Default

Indeed. It's already gone up to 250.

I guess I'm looking at ones like the Samsung then. Thanks.

Even at that price it's still a real bargain. For cameras that are a few years old try and stick with either Panasonic (my personal choice) Sony, Canon, JVC.

The Samsung cameras were not that good up until recently.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast