Thread: Absolute noob, please help me with DVD authoring

Question Absolute noob, please help me with DVD authoring

Hi all, sorry if this is a dumb question but I cant seem to find a concrete answer on the best way forward.

I am currently trying to put together a DVD production that will go onsale to all countries in the world. This means that I have the region issue and the PAL / NTSC issue too.

I dont really understand the best way to approach the production in the first place to ensure that I can comply with the international standards.

I am looking to hire a videographer to work with me on the filming and then supply me the video file at the end for me to edit.

So here are my questions:

1. Do I HAVE to encode regions in the DVD for it to be sold worldwide? Or can I make it region free so that any player can play it? will this cause me any problems?

2. Is there any DVD authoring software that will let me choose NTSC or PAL output when I come to create it so that I dont have to effectively create 2 edits of the film for each standard?

I will be using adobe premiere CS4 and after effects CS4 to edit and using Encore CS4 to create the DVD.

Is there an easy way to achieve my goal of creating just one edit and being able to export to different formats with a click of a button?

Many thanks,

James.

Anyone please? :(

I'm not familiar with CS4 so I can't talk you through the whole process just the general basics.

Don't worry about regions etc it's only something Hollywood did to enable them to stagger the release of their movies throughout the world. For you it's not an issue.

What you do need to do is have two versions of the video/DVD. One rendered in PAL the other rendered NTSC. You can use the same project or edit to create both copies.

I'm sure CS4 will give you these options as it's basically changing the frame rate and the dimensions of the video to fit the format standard of each type.

PAL 25fps 720 x 576

NTCS 30fps 720 x 480

Hope this helps.