Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: editing software

Default editing software

I need some editing software. It doesn't have to be very powerful.

I will film with a mini DV for 6 hours. I will then speed it up so that the movie is only about 5 minutes long. I also need to import bmp files that I have made in computer drafting software.

Also, I'm on a low budget

Can anyone recommend any software?

I don't know of any editing program that will speed up the footage by that much. What you are asking is to reduce 540,000 frames (6 hours at 25fps) into 7,500 frames (5 mins at 25 fps).

If your are trying to do a time-laps this is not the right way to go about it. Your camera needs to be able to take one frame every 10 second or similar. Unfortunately not many consumer cameras can do this.

The only solution I can think of, apart from getting an expensive camera is to manually take one frame every 10 seconds and knit them together. Oh, I wouldn't like to do that. I hope there is some software that will do that for you.

Blog Entries

Another alternative, if you can leave a PC/laptiop running, is to capture the images from the camcorder in real time onto the PC (ie record onto the PC). There is at least one free program which does this. Sorry, I can't remember the name, but I'm sure someone reading will come up with it.

And,with regards to your original question, while MB is correct that you can't shrink your 6 hours of footage in one go, there's no reason why you can't speed it up as much as your software allows then use the output from that as input and so on and so forth....
    Tim

Might it be possible to convert the Video in multiple uncompressed image files, then combine each 7th image to make the new video.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    And,with regards to your original question, while MB is correct that you can't shrink your 6 hours of footage in one go, there's no reason why you can't speed it up as much as your software allows then use the output from that as input and so on and so forth....
    I did think of that but I thought the image quality would be rubbish by the time it's condensed that much.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I did think of that but I thought the image quality would be rubbish by the time it's condensed that much.
    I have to admit, I've no idea how different systems speed up footage, but I've simply assumed (and we know what assume is) that to double the speed of a film every other frame is dropped.

So long as those frames don't depend on the frames next to them (eg if they are MiniDV which has no interframe compression), the quality will not be affected at all.

But I may well be wrong.
    Tim

I did a test. Using Sony Vegas Pro 9, I took a piece of footage increased it by 4 times (max Vegas will do) and rendered it to windows .avi. I then did this another two times and found so long as you use a lossless codec it will be ok. BUT that amount of speeding up would have to be of something being very slow or you won't see it because of the blur.

So you was right Tim. It could be done like you said. BUT I was also right in that it's not the best way to do it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    BUT I was also right in that it's not the best way to do it.
    I never suggested otherwise
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    This is how I did a practice movie. The quality was good for what I was filming. I put a stick in the ground and filmed it for about 4 hours to watch the shadow move. I then made it so that it was only about 45 seconds long.

My movie will be school children painting a design on the concrete. I want the design on the concrete to emerge in about 4 minutes. The children will be a blur.

Blog Entries

It's getting the kids to blur which will be your problem with most solutions.

I would suggest going down the still camera time-lapse route. A nikon coolpix will do timelapse at 1 pic every 10 seconds (it might do less, I'm not sure) and the older models are still available new for about 100.

If you fix (chewing gum, bluetac or glue!) a neutral density filter to the front and crank the ASA rating way down, you should get exposure times long enough to blur any moving objects (like kids).

Most editing software will allow you to import a load of still pictures and combine them into a sequence.

It's an idea worth considering anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast