Thread: Just given my very first real job!

Default Just given my very first real job!

Hey guys, long time lurker here! I posted this accidentally in the hardware tips forum so sorry for the double post!

I am a student and small time videographer. I have worked for a couple of older friends who do corporate stuff as well as some weddings.

Well, through a contact of mine I just got my first job all to myself. I have about a month and a half to prepare. I am so excited and want to do the best job possible!

Here is what I am tasked with: I will be taping a teaching seminar put on by a local doctor. There will be two presenters, and a power point screen/projector. It is a very large room (with horrible acoustics!, but they understand this on the front-end) and there will be about 40 audience members.

VIDEO: They want to have a camera on each speaker as well as a recording of the power point(screen) that is used.

AUDIO: They will have 3, maybe 4 audio outputs. Each presenter has a wireless microphone and we will have 1 or 2 omnidirectional mic's to record questions/comments asked by attendees.

I have 2 camera's, they are Sony VX-2100's. They are OK SD cams.

As far as the 2 camera's video, that is the easiest part. I will just have each record directly to tape.

Now, since I don't have a 3rd camera for the power point screen, is there any way I can capture the video stream directly from the projector or the computer that is sending the video? I am completely lost when it comes to this.. I have a laptop with a quad core and firewire at my disposal if need be.

If I get the projector's video taken care of that will leave me with just audio.

I am assuming I should have the audience microphones record into the camera's for the sake of A. simplicity and B. ease of syncing later.

As far as the wireless mics are concerned, can anyone recommend a good audio recording box?

I will be using Premier Pro cs4 and its associated programs for post.

Thank you so much in advance, this job is a huge deal to a starving student like me :p

Blog Entries

As far as the powerpoint presentation goes - just screen grab the appropiate slides and edit them in as needs be. No need to do it live at all - just get a copy of it to drop in later.

As far as the presenters mics are concerened, I would most likey try and route them into your cameras direct, one into one and one into the other, audience mics the same.

And well done - dont let the nerves get the better of you on the day - prepare, check, prepare and check everything again.

Blog Entries

Depending on what software the presenter is using, he/she should be able to export all the slides as jpegs or pdf files (if you take a dongle with you) which, as Andy suggested, you can edit in later.

For the audio: The Marantz PMD660 is sturdy, takes XLR inputs and easy to operate, the Zoom H2 is cheaper but you have to make sure that you have the right cables.

How can the audience hear them if they plug the mics directly into the cameras ?

Their mics will all go into a mixing desk. Just ask for a line feed out of the desk to go into one channel of one of your cams.
    I've filmed a few of these medical conferences and they can be mind numbingly long, so keep alert as lights get dimmed at very strange moments.

The PP show, as mentioned, will be availabe as jpegs of you ask nicely.
    Best of luck!
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    How can the audience hear them if they plug the mics directly into the cameras ?
    I was suggesting a feed from each mic (via desk) into cameras. Soory - wasn't crystal clear with that.

Thanks for the input guys. A few things have changed since I got on a call with my clients.

They have decided they want a static camera focused and adjusted solely for the projector screen so that those who watch the video will see what they emphasize on the slides i.e. the laser pointer or hand gestures. I advised the image captured from the screen wouldn't be the best but they said that was ok.

So I can forget about worrying about capturing the projector feed. I'll just have a cam on the instructors and one on the "screen".

So from you guys have said and what I am gathering, my audio setup will be something like:

2 wireless mics > into their respective receivers > into the mixing desk > 1 mixed output going into my Camera A, being recorded onto the DV tape along with its respective video.

1 floor mic > directly into Camera B, onto its respective tape.

Question: My VX 2100's only take 3.5mm audio inputs for mic's. Should I invest in some XLR > 3.5mm converters?

Also, if i am recording all of my audio sources directly to tape, I shouldn't need those compact flash recorders right? Or would it be good to record to two destinations for redundancy?

Hi - If they're all using mics (which they should), one feed from their desk with all mics premixed into one channel of your cam will do, mixing some ambient sound from the other channel to add realism.
    Yes, you will need one XLR to 3.5mm convertor.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    I was suggesting a feed from each mic (via desk) into cameras. Soory - wasn't crystal clear with that.
    I use quite a few mics when shooting weddings, I will tell you what works for me. I have a Zoom R16 which is a 16 track digital audio recorder with 8 inputs (XLR and Jack) It is also a digital line mixer, and a controller for Cubase SX3.0 which I use for editing audio etc.

Anyway, if you had all your various mics plugged in to the R16, you can record each mic seperately on to its own track, and mix the levels back during your editing. If you are good with audio, you can have the stereo out from the R16 going in to the audio input of your main camera, so you already have a mixdown along with your video.

There are other audio recorders out there. i only mention the Zoom R16 because it does everything I want, and you can run it from batteries on site. It uses SD cards for storage so it has no moving parts, and is silent in operation. They aren't that expensive either, i paid 320 for mine NEW.

Hope this helps.