Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freeview HD

Blog Entries

Default Freeview HD

Being the habitual early adopter, I've had a 1080p TV for about 4 years. In that time, I've watched the occasional Blu Ray, but stayed firmly in upscaled SD land. Not wanting to "waste" money on Sky or Virgin (no matter how hard I try to convince myself, I just can't justify the expense), I've stuck to watching TV through my PS3 via PlayTV.

Browsing through Stuff the other day, I saw a review for a freeview HD player. I figured it was one of those annoying gadgets that can't actually be used yet. So imagine my shock in discovering that HD over the airways was launch last December in my area. Although choice in the freeview HD box market is very restricted (and therefore being an early adopter could be expensive and painful), I did see a rather funky and promising box: 3view - HD and internet ready DTT set top box.

Looks like I could be an early adopter again...

This is something I've been following. Freeview HD as you say has been available in some parts of the country since December, It's on a roll out right now and in the next few days should be available in my area. I've only heard of the Humax DVB-2 tuner box. I like the idea of this 3view box that integrates with your PC but I'm not sure about the white colour.

I've been waiting for HD TV since I first heard about it on Tomorrows World Decades ago. BUT like you I can not justify the expense of Sky.

Blog Entries

I'm always surprised at the take up rate for cable and Sky. For me, it's a no brainer. I love sport, and used to watch hours upon hours when I lived with my folks. But it was always in the background and never really something I just HAD to do. As for films, well I'm a member of Love Film and can watch anything I want, when I want (within reason). I rarely found a film I wanted to watch on Sky. Finally the everyday programmes are simply awful, and no better than freeview.

Blog Entries

Aaah but with Sky you get the BBC, Channel4 and ITV in HD which is worth it (Those BBC docs just blow your mind in HD) and then there"s Discovery HD, National Geographic HD.... etc etc.

I hate Murdoch and begrudge giving Sky a penny of my hard-earned(ish) cash but HD does make watching telly fun again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
    Aaah but with Sky you get the BBC, Channel4 and ITV in HD which is worth it (Those BBC docs just blow your mind in HD)
    Hence this thread . Freeview in HD is being rolled out and the technology to pick it up is just begining to be released.

Blog Entries

What!!! You mean you buggers"ll be getting it for FREE !!!!????

We only get 3 channels to start with BBCHD, ITVHD & C4HD. It's not totally free as we have to buy a tuner for 150 but I'm hoping the prices will come down soon.

Hi Mark, I am new here. can you please tell me how may I add a new post to forum? thx

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Voskar View Post
    Hi Mark, I am new here. can you please tell me how may I add a new post to forum? thx
    Click on the header of the section to which you wish to post (for example to post in this section, scroll to the top of the page and you will see:
    Forum | General Discussion | Just for fun | Freeview HD ... click where it says "just for Fun" ) and on the page that is displayed you'lll see a lovely "Post New Thread" button
    Tim

While we're on the subject - do you guys still need a license to own a TV in the UK? I mean, what with Netflix and all? And it's really just to watch bbc1 bbc2 bbc3 and itv ... So what's the license for again?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast