Thread: Can Windows Movie Maker "crop"?

Default Can Windows Movie Maker "crop"?

First I guess I need to define the term "crop" with regard to video. I take a video of my pet bird on my shoulder. I want to crop the video so that only the area where the bird is, remains in the video.

I searched Google for programs that would do this, and found a thread saying that Windows Movie Maker would. I'm all for freeware, so I downloaded it and now find that it will not.

Yet some guy has a video lesson on Google about how to crop video using it. It turns out that he was talking about trimming snips of it, not what I consider cropping.

So now that the definition is clarified, what's the least I'll have to pay ( prefer freeware ) to be able to crop my videos in Windows 7, please?

Windows Movie Maker will not crop. All other editing software around 50 will do it and much more. Remember you get what you pay for.

You could always Google freeware video editing and see if there is something out there that will.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Windows Movie Maker will not crop. All other editing software around 50 will do it and much more. Remember you get what you pay for.

You could always Google freeware video editing and see if there is something out there that will.

BTDT.

I'd rather not spend anymore money.

I have Roxio Media Creator 10 but just moved to a Win 7 PC and am not sure that will work, nor do I recall if it did cropping of video.

Roxio seems to be one of these programs where you spend money on it, then regret it later.

Sony Vegas Movie Studio is only 39.99 from Play.com I know it will do cropping and a whole lot more. You can download a FREE 30 day trial from Sony.

VirtualDub is free and can crop video. It's not a non-linear editing application, but you can crop in this, and then import your footage to WMM.

Sony Vegas Movie Studio is only 39.99 from Play.com I know it will do cropping and a whole lot more. You can download a FREE 30 day trial from Sony.

Isnt that about $80 USD?!

Wait... Will this one do cropping?
    Vegas Movie Studio HD 9 Overview
    Last edited by Melissa2010B; 03-30-2010 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    VirtualDub is free and can crop video. It's not a non-linear editing application, but you can crop in this, and then import your footage to WMM.
    Too many technical hassles for me. I need something transparent to use, where I can open either an avi or wmv, crop the video ( for example if there's a bird on my shoulder - window it and only have the video of the cropped area around the bird as my video after that ) and save as either high quality avi or wmv.

Like I said, I'm willing to pay something for that, just not a huge amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa2010B View Post
    Isnt that about $80 USD?!

Wait... Will this one do cropping?
    Vegas Movie Studio HD 9 Overview

It's $60.3002

Yes Vegas Movie Studio HD 9 will crop.

Bear in mind if you crop an image and expand that image to fit a whole screen you are losing quality by the bucketload.

You want something dirt cheap, preferably free, and you say you also don't want to spend time cropping in one app then editing together in another?

With all due respect, I wonder whether editing video is really going to be a sensible way for you to occupy your time. It can certainly be done cheaply, but is extreely time consuming.
    Tim

I use VisiCrop. it's not free but have a trial version. U can try it! Good luck!