Thread: Please describe your AVCHD editing workstation

Default Please describe your AVCHD editing workstation

If you are successfully editing native AVCHD video, could you please list your computer specs here? This will be very helpful for those of us thinking of buying or building a system. If you bought a pre-built PC you can just list the make & model. It might also be helpful to know what operating system and editing software you're using. For the purposes of this thread please only list your system if you are able to obtain smooth, jitter-free playback of native AVCHD video files while editing. Thanks!

Good idea, especially as more of us are now moving to the avchd format.
    I edit on a quad core Acer running 6gb memory and windows 7 64 bit. This set up copes fine with avchd (light) footage from my panasonic.
    "full" avchd from my 'proper' Sony camcorder isn't quite so smooth in action. But you didn't want to know that did you ?

Posted via Mobile Device
    Last edited by enc; 03-30-2010 at 06:55 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    "full" avchd from my 'proper' Sony camcorder isn't quite so smooth in action. But you didn't want to know that did you ?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    That suprises me! What software are you running to edit?

Quote Originally Posted by scvideo View Post
    If you are successfully editing native AVCHD video, could you please list your computer specs here? This will be very helpful for those of us thinking of buying or building a system. If you bought a pre-built PC you can just list the make & model. It might also be helpful to know what operating system and editing software you're using. For the purposes of this thread please only list your system if you are able to obtain smooth, jitter-free playback of native AVCHD video files while editing. Thanks!
    I have abandoned using AVCHD cameras and files, because they are such a PITA to edit, even with a quad core computer. Consumer grade junk, in my oinion!

5. Default

Intel iMac

3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

1920 x 1080 resolution

4GB memory

500GB hard drive1

8x double-layer SuperDrive

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics

AVCHD no sweat...

Blog Entries

Macbook 2ghz dual core, 4gb ram, AVCHD no probs.

The imac 2.8ghz dual core works a bit quicker tho'.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    That suprises me! What software are you running to edit?
    my statement isn't strictly true. if i load the footage to the timeline and allow it to render first (takes a few mins) the footage will edit and scrub smoothly. where as AVCHD (lite) from the panasonic is smooth without having to render first.

software is premiere elements 7. vegas 8 wont entertain footage from the sony. demo version of vegas 9 was fine.

footage from the sony is AVCHD Video (.MTS)

Corel Video Studio Pro X2,
    Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz 2GB ram XP

I set the proxy files to 720x576 and it uses them to edit, no problem, I suspect this is similar to the system used by Imac computers when they transcribe the AVCHD files to a more manageable format, with the Corel Pro X2 it switches back to the AVCHD file to render out the final video, but it's all done in the back ground so very little inconvenience using it,

I have used Premiere Pro CS4 and that works fine to, but you are not playing back native AVCHD when you play the video from the time line it to uses a proxy file, so I suspect very few programs actually play back the native AVCHD files, but does it matter as long as the resolution of the proxy file is high enough to check focus and color detail.

I have edited a 2.5 hour video with premiere using 2 cameras both at a resolution of 1440x1080i, the thing I found was not the playback but the color correction, this ground my system to a virtual stop if I had more than a few minutes to do, in fact I gave up on color correction in the end as the rendering would have taken forever.

Bryan

Default now at the bottom end....

I use a prebuilt m/c: ECS 7610 ultra m/b, Asus VT702 video card, Athlon 64 3000+ processor, 2GB DDR400 RAM, Vista Home (basic) OS.
    I use 3 cameras..Samsung (tape), JVC HDD (Mpeg) and JVC HiDef (flash). Editing programme is Cyberlink PowerDirector 8 ultra (with update patch). PD8 works fine on tape import, I copy files from the other 2 cameras straight to the HDD
    When viewing clips, there is no jitter, but after loading to the timeline the jitters arrive! Cured it by selecting 'non-real time' display which runs @ about 3/4 normal speed and is very clear. ( No sound at this setting but who needs it at this point?)
    Rendering time depends on what the output file type is. I don't burn to DVD but output to file and load that into a MediaCube cannected to my TV. Rendering an AVI is quickest and AVCHD slowest. Changing clip characteristics - brill/contrast/hue etc means re-encoding the whole file...typically an untouched ( other than cutting) 30min file takes around 2 hours to encode. The same file took 6 hours after editing colour etc.
    I use a 500GB external HDD to archive finished files and once made the mistake of rendering to this disk....16 hours later it was still running!

10. Default

I'm using the following setup and can edit native:

Intel Core i7 2.67Ghz
    EVGA P55 motherboard
    6GB of OCZ DDR 2000 RAM
    Windows 7 64-bit