Thread: Can you save video w/o linking to files?

Default Can you save video w/o linking to files?

This may be a weird question, but I need to clean up my computer files- they are everywhere. However, I have many completed videos done on PowerDirector v8 that link to various pics and videos. If I move a picture, it removes it from my finished video because the link is no longer there. Is there a different way (any way) to save videos that would allow me to move around source footage without it being removed from the finished product?

It sounds like you are saving your project but not rendering out the video. Once the video is rendered all the working files can be stored anywhere or even deleted the finished video is unaffected by this.

You could be totally right. I have been saving and then burning to dvd. I tried a test "video" and produced to a .wmv file and then deleted the source pics. It still opened with missing files so I think I am still missing something here. If you have any other advice on rendering in powerdirector, I would certainly appreciate your time.

Are you saying the project opened but the program said you had missing files. If that's the case it's what you would expect if you deleted the original source files.

There seems to be some confusion with the whole video editing scenario.

There a three main parts which you need to clarify.
    1. Original footage
    2. Project files
    3. Rendered or finished video

The original footage is not affected by anything you do within the editing program. The work you do in the program creates a project file which is just information that tells the program what you want the finished video to look like when you render it.

I hope this helps you.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Are you saying the project opened but the program said you had missing files. If that's the case it's what you would expect if you deleted the original source files.

There seems to be some confusion with the whole video editing scenario.

There a three main parts which you need to clarify.
    1. Original footage
    2. Project files
    3. Rendered or finished video

The original footage is not affected by anything you do within the editing program. The work you do in the program creates a project file which is just information that tells the program what you want the finished video to look like when you render it.

I hope this helps you.
    Yes, I am saying when you reopen the final video to burn more copies there is missing video if I delete source/original files and I understand that. Let me clarify my question: I want to be able to delete or move source/original files without it effecting the finished video project. How can I render/save the finished project so that the finished project is not effected by me deleting source/original files? Thanks in advance for your time!

You can't move or delete original files without it affecting the project in the program. You can render a video to your hard disk and then watch it on your computer or burn it to a DVD. Moving the original files won't affect the newly rendered video. BUT if you delete the original files you wil not be able to open the project in your editing program.

Am I missing or hitting you question ?

I think you are hitting my question- I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel! I have been re-opening the finished project to make new copies. Instead it sounds like I need to burn new dvd copies from the rendered computer file. Which leads me to possibly a very dumb question but how do I render the video to the hard disk and re-burn a copy from that file? I have been working within the confines of powerdirector v8 and from your reply, sounds like I need an altrnative solution to making copies w/o going into powerdirector-

I've never used Powerdirector so I can't talk you through the process.

No problem- Thank you SO much for your time!

When you render your movie, you should be able to save the finished product before you burn it to a dvd. If you save it as a wmv, you can re-encode and burn a dvd from that created wmv. Some editing programs let you render the dvd image file to an .iso format. If so, you can burn more dvds from that .iso file and it doesn't matter where you moved your source files after you create the .iso or .wmv or even .mpg files.