Thread: Dual layer burner burning single layer DVDs

Default Dual layer burner burning single layer DVDs

I have a dual layer DVD burner (NEC-3500A). I am wondering about backwards compatability for burning single layer DVDs. I am going to be burning DVDs (for standalone players) for a number of people. I have heard there may be some compatability problems with playing dual layer DVDs in older DVD players. Can I use a dual layer DVD burner to burn a single layer DVD if need be?

Thanks

PTN: I have a NEC dual layer burner and, because I've not yet found a source of dual layer media, have only ever burnt single layer DVDs on it. No problems, playing back on either the PC or a set top DVD player.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

Thanks for the help! I found some dual layer media for sale on Amazon. A 3-pack for $26...

3 for 26 bucks? Outch! Well at least you founds some.

I know that older DVD players have problems playing DVD+R/-R
    Thei firmware doesnt support blank media. But the newer DVD players
    play them just fine. newer as in 9 months or newer.

Yeah, what I meant when I said I hadn't found a source, I meant a source that didn't charge an arm and a leg. Blankdiskshop.co.uk has Verbatim-branded at 4.49 each and Ritek at 3.49 - but you can get an awful lot of single-sided DVDs for those kind of prices. Maplin has them at 5 for 25, BOGOF - so that's just 2.50 a disk. Even so... Prices will come down - eventually - and I can wait.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

Blog Entries

If you want my opinion (which you probably don't), DL for video is a bit of a waste of time at the moment - high prices, low compatability.

It does seem to be a bit of a waste of money at the moment. Thanks to a screw up at a computer store and excellent staff, the dual layer burner was cheaper that it should have been though. I got a quote on a single layer burner but they didn't realize they didn't have one in stock. To make up for the mistake I got the dual layer NEC burner for the same price.

Marc: I'm interested by your comment about 'low compatibility'. Is that low compatibility with DVD authoring programs, or low compatibility with set-top DVD players - or what? I'd be interested in your further thoughts on dual layer media.

Blog Entries

Low compatability with set tops. I was going to use them for a wedding DVD as it came out as > 1 hr.... thought better of it after testing in the machines I have available. Burn went fine, just had a 1 in 4 success rate of playing.

Interesting - thanks Marc. It makes you wonder if this is an issue the industry has any plans to address.