I got a medion 8822 computer - spec as follows:

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6400 (2.13 GHz, 2MB L2 Cache with 1066 MHz FSB)

Windows Vista Home Premium
320GB Hard Disk
The latest NVIDIA GeForce 7650 GS graphics
3-in1 TV Tuner
(DVB-T, DVB-S and analogue TV)
Dual Layer DVD/CD Write (lightscribe)
Integrated Wireless LAN (Medion)

Its got this 'connectx' thing on the front which includes firewire, composite and S-Video connectors. It was all working fine for a while but suddenly I could only preview and record B&W video from my VHS VCR using S-Video. My software is Cyberlink Powerdirector 8 and set for S-Video link (yes I tried all other settings!). Now the VCR works fine with the same lead with the TV. I tried reinstalling PowerDirector. I tried reinstalling graphics card driver both from medion site and Nvidia site. I tried capturing video via VLC player - still B&W. Medion said to go to their driver site and I tried that. Then they said if that didn't work perform a factory reset i.e lose all data and start from scratch but thats a pain and I wonder if it will really work! If I use my mini DV camera with firewire the colour is fine. If I use composite connections from the VCR - B&W again! But into the TV - fine! If I set up PD8 as 'composite' input, the blue screen from the VCR (before playing tape) shows blue on PD preview but as soon as the tape starts to play its all B&W again! So now I'm pretty frustrated and looking for help.

A friend said he recommends putting all VHS and Hi8 footage on DV and then transfering this to the computer but I dont understand why this is 'better' than simply connecting analogue to the computer and using the internal converter (apart from fact I can't get colour at the moment!). I have also seen advertised S-Video/Composite to USB adapters and wonder if they are any good? (see ebay there are loads). I'm guessing there is a fault with the input card to the computer but really need to prove it as there are only a few days warranty left on the thing.