Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windowboxing Occurs When I Include JPGs in Clip

Default Windowboxing Occurs When I Include JPGs in Clip

I use Sony Vegas Platinum Pro 9. I'm a newbie. I've been editing some clips. When I render them and play them on my HDTV they look fine—they fill the whole screen. I went back in, added some JPEG files, and now, once rendered, the clips have windowboxing on my HDTV—i.e., I've got black bars on all four sides of the film, throughout the film, even though the aspect ratio of the reduced image is still widescreen. I'm assuming it's the addition of the JPEGs that's causing the problem? The dimensions on the JPEGs are 720 X 480. How can I incorporate the JPEGs but keep the clip to where it fills the entire TV screen? I'd even be fine with the JPEGs themselves having pillars or letterboxing, as long as the motion picture clips themselves fill the HDTV screen. Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Default

Two questions. 1: How are you playing them on the tv and 2: What are your project properties set at?

Blog Entries

Just one thought which may or may not be relevant. Your JPEGs at 720 x 480, because JPEGs use square pixels are not 4:3 or 16:9 so some letterboxing is inevitable.
    Tim

Hi Terry.

I'm playing them on my TV using a DVD I rendered.

My Video Project Properties are:

Template: NTSC DV 720X480,29.970FPS
    Width: 720
    Height: 480
    Field Order: Lower Field First
    Pixel Aspect Ratio: 0.9091 (NTSC DV)
    Frame Rate: 29.970 (NTSC)
    Full Resolution on Rendering Quality: Good
    Deinterlace Method: Blend Fields

Hi Tim,

Now that you mention it, when the JPGs disploay in the movie on my TV, the height of the JPG does fill my screen from top to bottom (but not left to right.) Once the JPG is finished displaying, the movie reverts to windowboxing again.

I'm fine if the JPG does not fill the screen< but I rally do want the movie itself to fill the screen.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Blog Entries

OK here's a guess.
    Your project properties are set to a pixel aspect ratio of 0.9091 (DV) which is 4:3
    You've already mentioned that you are trying to play them on an HDTV which is 16:9

I'm betting your source material is also 16:9

So, what's happening is this:

Your source (16:9) is being made to fit in your project (4:3)
    This results in letterboxing - a 4:3 image with a 16:9 image in the middle and black bars top and bottom.

You are then trying to output this 4:3 image to a 16:9 format.

In order to fit the whole 4:3 image (which includes black bars top and bottom) into a 16:9 frame, black bars are added left and right.

This also explains why the JPEGS fill the screen vertically.

The solution is simple. Change the project properties from NTSC DV to NTSC Widescreen. That way 16:9 will be maintained throughout.

Hope I'm right and this solves your problem.
    Tim

Tim,

That makes sense to me.

I'm going to try it tonight, then I'll post tomorrow as to whether or not it was successful, in case anyone else has the same problem.

Thanks so much for your help!

Tim,

I tried your suggestion, but unfortunately it didn't work.

I'm still getting windowboxing while a clip is playing, pillarboxing when a JPG displays.

Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks.

If you want a 16:9 project, then yes definitely- as Tim sez - your project properties should be 16:9. have you tried using the pan/crop tool on the .jpgs to make them show as 16:9? There's a pre-set there for it.

Hi Archie,

Thanks for contributing.

I clicked on the JPGs in the timeline and opened up pan and crop on each. I then changed the preset to 16:9 widescreen TV aspect ratio, but there doesn't seem to be any way to save that setting. If I click the save icon next to the preset bar, it says the 16:9 preset "is part of the plug-in and cannot be saved or replaced. Please enter a unique name for the custom preset." I entered HDTV as a unique name and clicked the save icon.

However, if I go out of the JPG and then click back on it again, open up its pan and crop again, it's back to the old "(default)" again, not HDTV or 16:9 widescreen TV Aspect Ratio.

I'm assuming I should switch both the video events and JPG events on the timeline to a 16:9 widescreen TV Aspect Ratio setting, but once I choose that setting, how do I get the event to stay on that setting?

I have to admit, I'm getting really discouraged.

Blog Entries

You don't need to change/save the preset.
    Monitor your jpg in the preview window while you do this.
    Place your timeline cursor over the jpg on the timeline that you want to change.
    Your preview window should show the jpg with black bars right and left.
    Now click on the pan and crop icon (one of the little green Icons) on the jpg event on the timeline - this will open up the pan and crop dialog.
    Now select the 16:9 widescreen drop-down.
    You now have a 16:9 marquee with a big "F" in the middle and your jpg should now fill the frame in your preview window (cropped to 16:9)
    If desired drag the "F" around to select the part of the jpg you want. You can also resize it.
    Close the pan and crop dialog.
    Job done.

If your source, project and output settings are 16:9, you do not need to use pan and crop for any of the video.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast