Thread: HELP CONNECT SONY CAMCORDER TO PC VIA FREWIRE

Default HELP CONNECT SONY CAMCORDER TO PC VIA FREWIRE

Can any of you help??

I'm trying to connect my new Sony PC350 camcorder to my PC using a firewire connection. As yet I have had no success, the computer fails to recognise the camcorder. However, when connecting via USB the camcorder the identified immediately.

I had been trying to connect the camcorder to the firewire port on my PC with no success. Today I went out and bought a cheap Firewire capture card, still no success. The new card has been recognised by the PC as new hardware, it does no however come with a dedicated driver as it's XP Plug and Play compatible (windows 200 and above).

I've tried to different firewire cables and still no joy. Any suggestions as to how I should proceed???

Many Thanks
    Parag

(P4 3.06, MSI NEO875 Mboard, 2gig Ram, 2*200Gig Harddrive+120gig/80gig raid, Radeon 9200 Graphics with 256mb, running Windows XP Service Pack 1)

Suggestions please

just guessing and thinking out loud but....

When connected via firewire, the camea was turned on right? You never specifically said so I guess I have to check the obvious. Also, what mode was the camera in. It would need to be in playback mode - or whatever it;s called on your camera for the mode where you can just playback the footage your've hit. VCR mode?

Also, if you'll be capturing via firewire you should have no use whatsoever for the USB drivers so uninstall them.

Make sure you don't have both the USB and firewire connections made at the same time as well.

Also, whether windows suddentl 'recognises' the camera or not when plugged in, open you capture utility and check the video feed from there.

Alan,

Thanks for your reply, yes the camcorder was in playback mode. If I remove USB drivers will I still be able to download stills from the camcorder.

Any other suggestions most welcome.

Default firewire

I hate to say it but I bett your firewire conection on your camera is faulty.I had the same problem with my Sony TRV22 and it was repaired under warranty

Quote Originally Posted by PARAGB
    Alan,

Thanks for your reply, yes the camcorder was in playback mode. If I remove USB drivers will I still be able to download stills from the camcorder.
    You will if the images are written to a card and you have a card reader attached to your PC. I would recommend this. I'm not a fan of connecting cameras to PCs via USB.

You shouldn' need to remove the drivers though. As long as the USB cable is not connected to your camera at the same time as the firewire, all should be ok.

Any other suggestions most welcome.
    Only to use a firewire port in a PCI card and not and in built one on a graphics or sound card. Don't know why but they seem to work different and cause all sorts of video capture issues.