Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: God Damn Mother Flubbing Ebay

Default God Damn Mother Flubbing Ebay

Have been watching a Sony HVR-A1E for the last 7 fricking days and got down to the last 15 mins as leading bidder then someone came in with new bid and it suddenly ended 10 mins before time!

There is nothing I can do, hence me venting my spleen on here rather than going all Michael Douglas on Ebay's ass

Now switched my attention to stalking Canon XM2, Sony PDX10 and a few other HVR-A1E's in the hope of getting at least one.

Happy Monday people...

Andy
    Andy
    andy@10yetis.co.uk
    ---------

10 Yetis have been known to have the odd dabble at marketing n\' stuff, penguins need not apply.

Blog Entries

This ending before the official time has got me before and lost me a bargain. I don't know what the score is about complaining. Up 'til now none of the complaints I've made to ebay have come to anything.

Good luck with the rest.

I've never been a big Ebayer. I can't see any benefit to Ebay to finish the bidding early except if one of their staff is after the item. BUT I believe in UFOs and a shadow government who rules the world, so my judgement may be questionable.

Blog Entries

It's not ebay which finishes the item but the seller often withdraws it just before the end. Usually it's when they see that the price is low and there aren't that many people looking at it. This isn't actually allowed, you can only withdraw an item for specific reasons and "The bids aren't going as high I want" ain't one of the reasons!

However if you complain to ebay they just shrug their (virtual) shoulder and say "tough shit".

Ohhhh ! The seller pulls it. I get it now. I'm so naive sometimes.

I practiced a good Malcolm Tucker moment but by the time I found a number for ebay my rage had subsided.
    Andy
    andy@10yetis.co.uk
    ---------

10 Yetis have been known to have the odd dabble at marketing n\' stuff, penguins need not apply.

I'll give you an advice... at least it is what I do and it has worked for me so far. I first decide what's the top amount I am willing to pay for the item, then I save the item in my Watch list and I wait until there is 30 to 10 seconds left, and I place that maximum amount I decided is what I'm willing to pay. Why? Because if someone that wants the item sees that someone else is bidding, they will keep adding to outbid you, but if this person doesn't see anyone bidding, he or she won't place the highest bid and you'll do it right before the time is over and he or she won't outbid you and you'll win. But if you place your bid and he or she had placed a higher bid, at least you know it wasn't a matter of you playing the bid time with someone, it was just that the other person was willing to pay more than you for the item.
    GoPro Hero 3+ Silver Edition
    GoPro Hero

• Macbook Pro 2.5 GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 with 16 GB RAM
    with Intel Iris Pro Graphics + AMD Radeon R9 M370X / 2GB GDDR5 memory
    • Avid Media Composer v8.3
    • Baselight 4.3.5
    • DaVinci Resolve 12
    • Avid Artist Color
    • Adobe After Effect CS6

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” Albert Einstein

Cheers for the advice Rebel... so, you can put any bid in you want, not necessarily just the bid amount that Ebay tells you to, i.e. they say bids must be in £20 increments etc etc.

Cheers

Andy
    Andy
    andy@10yetis.co.uk
    ---------

That's what I always do Rebel. If you're prepared to stay awake 'til 3 in the morning you can often get a bargain (I bought a Canon XH-1A for £1300).

For some reason though I always find it necessary to bid something stupid like £xx2.29p. I think it purely psychological as I've this stupid belief that some novice bidder will bid to the nearest pound or £10. You get the idea.

I believe there are web sites out there that will place your bid by proxy which means you don't have to stay up late or even leave your computer on. I had a go of one (auction sniper I think it was called) and it work well!

Of course it doesn't help you stop the seller from withdrawing and item.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    I'll give you an advice... at least it is what I do and it has worked for me so far. I first decide what's the top amount I am willing to pay for the item, then I save the item in my Watch list and I wait until there is 30 to 10 seconds left, and I place that maximum amount I decided is what I'm willing to pay. Why? Because if someone that wants the item sees that someone else is bidding, they will keep adding to outbid you, but if this person doesn't see anyone bidding, he or she won't place the highest bid and you'll do it right before the time is over and he or she won't outbid you and you'll win. But if you place your bid and he or she had placed a higher bid, at least you know it wasn't a matter of you playing the bid time with someone, it was just that the other person was willing to pay more than you for the item.

exactly what i do

not very sportsman like but wtf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast