Thread: Transcode settings/multiple copies/progressive

Default Transcode settings/multiple copies/progressive

Team, a couple of questions:

I note that, for whatever reason, my Encore transcode settings are set to 4Mb VBR 2 pass. Am I right in thinking this isn't the highest possible quality setting? Would 7Mb VBR 2 pass give me appreciably better quality? Is there an even higher quality setting?

Second question: from the Help file, it seems there's no easy way within Encore of making multiple DVD copies of the same project (for distribution to grandparents, aunts, uncles and the like...) Is there no alternative to going through the DVD build process individually for each DVD (although I assume successive passes will be faster as the timeline is already transcoded)?

Third question: should I be using a progressive setting for TV playback?
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

Blog Entries

I note that, for whatever reason, my Encore transcode settings are set to 4Mb VBR 2 pass. Am I right in thinking this isn't the highest possible quality setting? Would 7Mb VBR 2 pass give me appreciably better quality? Is there an even higher quality setting?
    I'll divide this part into two:

1) first you have the bitrate. The higher the bitrate, the higher the amount of data processed per second; and, simply put, more data means better quality - it's less compressed, if you like. This however is counterbalanced by more data meaning bigger file sizes. 4,000kbps (the 4MB in your post) results in okay quality, but you'll start to notice the difference in scenes of high movement. 7MB will be better, but you can have upto a 8MB max bitrate for DVD video. If you have an hour or less video with PCM audio, use the maximum bitrate.

2) the second part is the 2 pass Variable Bitrate (VBR) encoding. Use this where possible and especially when your video is going to exceed the maximum disc size for the maximum bitrate. This will adjust the bitrate according to the data requirements to keep a constant quality at varying bitrate.

it seems there's no easy way within Encore of making multiple DVD copies of the same project (for distribution to grandparents, aunts, uncles and the like...) Is there no alternative to going through the DVD build process individually for each DVD (although I assume successive passes will be faster as the timeline is already transcoded)?
    Two options:
    1) Create an image of your DVD rather than building a disc. (File > Build DVD > Make DVD Image). You can then use either Encore to burn this image, or your favoured burning app. simply point to the image when prompted, and all the data contained in this image will be burnt to disc (an image is like a zip file). To use Encore, simply make the steps as you would to burn the project, but change current porject to Disc Image.

2) Use Encore to create the DVD folders on your HDD, then simply burn thse folders to disc using either encore or you gavoured burning app.

Marc, very many thanks. I ended up retranscoding a project at the higher rate - it was only 5 minutes - but it perhaps wasn't a good test, as there wasn't much movement in it. Certainly, a quick look - I need to try it on the TV - didn't reveal any noticeable improvement in quality. But if, as you say, Encore will adjust the bit rate to ensure that the project fits on the DVD - did I understand that correctly? - I guess there's no reason not to always set a project at the highest bit rate possible?

On the replication question, my impression from the Encore Help file was that you couldn't just build an image file on the hard drive, then copy that to a DVD. Did I misunderstand?

Any thoughts re why I might want to use the 'progressive' transcode option?

New question: I haven't yet acquired any dual layer DVDs, but my impression - again from the Encore help file - is that these are not natively supported by Encore, even with the recent upgrade: the Help file continues to talk about building tapes in order to use dual layer DVDs. Or could it be that, if I stick a dual layer DVD in the drive, Encore will just automatically recognise it as a 9.4GB device and treat it accordingly?
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

Blog Entries

From an earlier post, you've got the latest version of Encore. To burn a DL DVD, simply change the project settings to 8.3GB (or whatever the option is, I'm just about to go out )

And yes, if you create the DVD folders. all you have to do is burn VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS to a DVD.

Cool - thanks Marc. Enjoy your trip out...