Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tree Care

Default Tree Care

This is my most recent project on tree surgery. Not the most interesting content but I tried to make it smooth. Its only part 1

Why am I an editor? ...because I'm a bad filmer!
    ☮ ♫ ☾ ☆ ☼ ☯ ~ Live Long & Prosper

Apart from the fact that it should have been condense down a lot. I think this is one of your better videos. Some one in this forum has a very apt signature for you. It's "why did I become an editor ? Well to cut a long storey short...."

That how I felt. While it was nice to see some of the intricacies of tree surgery I felt I didn't need to see 2 or 3 mins of you blowing the air line at the roots of the tree.

I think I've made my point.

As you had two cameras I think you wasted a good opportunity to use the second camera footage as cut aways to add interest to the piece.

By the way, I love the hat.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Apart from the fact that it should have been condense down a lot. I think this is one of your better videos. Some one in this forum has a very apt signature for you. It's "why did I become an editor ? Well to cut a long storey short...."

That how I felt. While it was nice to see some of the intricacies of tree surgery I felt I didn't need to see 2 or 3 mins of you blowing the air line at the roots of the tree.

I think I've made my point.

As you had two cameras I think you wasted a good opportunity to use the second camera footage as cut aways to add interest to the piece.

By the way, I love the hat.
    Hey man thanks for the review

However I think we're on different pages here. I know it's long and all but even sped up its long, I want the Arborists that view it to see this and understand how long that it takes TLC. I have spent another 6 days @ 5 hours a day and still have only moved a foot in each direction (1/4 of the tree). I did not make this video to show off talent or entertain, its informative, actually more less a "smooth archive" get what I mean?

As far as the two cameras go, it was moreless a primary and secondary thing rather than dual primary's. You see one is 1920x1080 3CCD the other is a 1280x720 picture lens. So I only used the second distant cut for when I got in the cameras way, pov, or for the split screen. I'll admit I did use it as a primary shot in a few areas so it kind of throws my explanation off but I understand where you were coming from chop it up more.

Yeah I love my hat its glued to my head

Talking

New version, much better view here:

I enjoyed watching that. And I actually learnt something. I liked the huge amount of detail in some of the scenes - and the inobtrusive use of the snatches of music. I was very impressed with the way that the tree's welfare was paramount.

This is better than your first one but does IMO still need trimming down. Not sure about the necessity of the split screen work.

Like I said it's better but I found it ultimately frustrating to watch. Why not just get a pair of loppers and cut the route with a couple of snips. Job done, 2min video.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 06-22-2010 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    This is better than your first one but does IMO still need trimming down. Not use about the necessity of the split screen work.

Like I said it's better but I found it ultimately frustrating to watch. Why not just get a pair of loppers and cut the route with a couple of snips. Job done, 2min video.
    Yeah it's still long haha and because I don't want to damage the bark AT ALL under the root, and I wanted to cut as low as possible. Its hard to watch if your not a tree person I totally understand but thanks for watching.

I think your new video works better than your old one, the edit on the old one is very unorgansied, and in comparison the newer video is easier on the eye.

Two things struck me, the first video seemed to be made up of shots and edits that don't add anything, perhaps just what you wanted to put in the film. In factual programing it is often the case that what doesn't add detracts. I had a conversation recently about showing what the viewer wants to see. Very few film makers can successfully put their ego on film, and even then, they still edit through the eyes of a viewer. Think Tarantino.

The second video was pure, and far removed from this approach, perhaps a good edit is to find the balance between the two.

The second thing is that you seem to go in to your tree surgery (is that the right thing) with a plan, you seem to know where you are going before you start. If you tansferred this into the film it would make a massive difference. I don't know, are you restricted to what you can do in production so as you can get on with your work? Perhaps spend a little time thinking about what you are going to be doing and plan out a structure for your film, think out some shots you will need to tell the story.

A voice over, titles, or presenting what you are doing to the camera would make a world of difference. I don't know what home impovement type programs you have over there, we have a guy named Tommy Walsh who does the larger construction type home improvement stuff, watching his programs shows how little footage is really needed along side good explanations to educate and tell the story.

Perhaps studying some of the guys you have on TV could help you find a style, not the presenter as such, but what the production team have put on screen.

David.

Yeah I hear ya Dave, the angles were definitely not chosen. It was geared 80% torward getting the work done and not having the touch the camera with my dirty hands. If I had the time I would have done the 360 degrees walk arounds with a glidecam/steadicam (I built my own camera stabilizer) I also would have preferred not to be BEHIND the tree with the hose but I did what I could. Thanks for watching

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast