Thread: MTV cribs parody

Smile MTV cribs parody

So I've somehow got into visiting derelict places and found this old copper mill near. I couldn't resist a cribs parody.

We were trying out a 2 camera shoot, with the cameras connected via a magic arm. I think it's worked very well, although a bit TOO shaky in parts and getting the exposure wrong on the wide camera. I think the effect of the motion works well.

2. Default

The idea itself was quite hilarious, i had a few good giggles

Altho about the editing, splitting into 2 screens every half second and going back to full screen just gave me a headache after about 5 seconds, also followed by this like super rush without a steady cam (hard shaking i mean) gave me even more of a headache...

Blog Entries

Unbelievably annoying and impossible to watch.
    Just like the real thing.

I have to admit after the initial "child pit" joke I found the repeating child abuse joke a bit tedious.

Yet again, often it's your delivery which raises the video. When you deliver the tramopline line about your career, the change of expression and timing of that exchange are exactly right - it's so easy for that to be overdone.

A good sign off as well.
    Tim

Thanks guys, and Tim as always picking up on my own biggest annoyance with the video. I know the video is a bit too shaky to have so many quick cuts from full to splitscreen, it's only after it's been up for a day that I've been able to take a step back and go 'whoa, this is kinda hard to watch'.

In principal, I think the idea works very well (two cameras connected via a magic arm so all movement is in unison). I have a few ideas to use this technique for a music video or something but we'll see (although less shaky).

RE: delivery, looking through all the footage it's pretty much the first take of every line I chose, as it was all ad-libbed on the spot the first time I say a line is often the best. I do especially like the trampoline line.

As head of the H from Steps total appreciation society. I found this video totally abominable, It's not that we from the H from Steps total appreciation society don't have a sense of humour, we just find this kind of relentless attack on a man who has made such a major contribution to music, to be of poor taste.

As head of the H from Steps total appreciation society I felt compelled to jump to his defence and remind people that non of those allegations where ever proved in court.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clay_9 View Post
    RE: delivery, looking through all the footage it's pretty much the first take of every line I chose,
    Isn't that often the case? Whether ad-libbed or scripted. I've also found this to be the case recording music.
    I often thing subsequent takes are only there as a safety net in case of technical errors in the first.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by clay_9 View Post
    ll (two cameras connected via a magic arm so all movement is in unison). I .
    sounds interesting. care to enlighten us on this technique ?

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    sounds interesting. care to enlighten us on this technique ?
    It's a manfrotto magic arm with a camera mount at both ends. So with both cams attached the two shots mirror each others movements, with one a wide and the other a CU.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Default

You left us feedback on our music video so I wanted to reciprocate.

I think comedians are much braver than musicians. Comedy almost always involves making fun of someone or something. So you are always going to upset someone. That has always made me think comedians are not nice people!
    I know the programme you're satirising & it makes me despise the rich. So you can have a go at them all you want.
    But H from Steps, he was always a bit of a plonker & I just ended up feeling sorry for him!

As you ad lib & improvise these videos on location you are talented . If you had shot it from a script i would have said the script was weak.
    The busy'ness of the shots & you jumping around like an action hero certainly added to the zaniness of the whoe thing.
    Your skit made me smile but I didnt understand or like the child hating gags, but I did like your Welsh accent & your confident approach.

Sarah

Spot on Tim, pretty much always I find the best take is the first, as it's usually the most spontaneous.

Thank you Sarah & Allison for your feedback, it's pretty much the reverse for me, I think singers have it harder. For me there is something quite personal when singing, especially in front of others and especially in front of the internet!

I think in hindsight after this video is now up and public, I'm not as happy with it as some of my other videos. Like you said some of the shots are just too busy, a bit too shaky and maybe Its a little too heavy on the child abuse stuff. I imagine I won't go that far again.