Thread: Sound

Default Sound

Does anyone else have the problem I have with Premiere which is that, if I leave my camcorder plugged into the Firewire port while I'm editing, I get no sound from the PC speakers - sound is routed back to the camcorder speaker? Except that I've turned the camcorder speaker off while capturing, because it's fractionally out of phase with the PC speakers (which are enabled during capture - it's just during playback that they get disabled) so I have to wind it up again. Or remember to detach the camcorder before I start editing. Is this a Premiere feature/fault? Or is it something to do with how I have my PC set up?
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

Blog Entries

Sounds (pun intended) to me like you're routing the sound to DV hardware.

Click the arrow in the top right of the monitor window, select playback settings from the drop down menu and check play audio on audio hardware.

I've not been aware of any issues. However, I've also never thought about it so it might simply be a case of never having tried any editing with the camera plugged in.

One question though. If having the camera plugged in is 'stealing' the sound, are you using a firewire port on your sound card?

Oh well, at least you have a workaround.

Hey, Marc, that sounds like a plan - I can't wait (sad bastard that I am) to get home to see if that fixes it. (And what a lot of options there are there (I have a copy installed on my work PC just to mess around with when things get quiet) that I didn't know about! Alan (the contributor formerly known as Millsy): yeah, I have one of those snazzy Creative Audigy sound break out boxes which is really handy as all the inputs I could ever need (OK, except USB then...) are right in front of me. But I wonder if you're right: if I hooked the camera to the Firewire port on the back of the PC, would the problem go away? Possibly not, if Marc's suggestion is correct.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

Marc: you were right! Now fixed. Interestingly, you have to do it on a 'per project' basis - it's not a global setting - but I guess that makes sense. Many thanks. Oh, and just to complete a perfect evening, I transferred miniDV to VHS by the simple expedient of connecting my camcorder to my VCR and pressing play/record. Most excellent.

Blog Entries

Premiere is actually REALLY simple - it's just that too many things happen as default or badly explained.