Thread: 24 hours of video uploaded to YouTube EVERY MINUTE!

Default 24 hours of video uploaded to YouTube EVERY MINUTE!

I saw this story this morning 24 hours of video uploaded to YouTube every minute and thought to myself, "How can anyone get any serious consideration of their well produced videos on YouTube when competing against that volume of content uploading?" The answer is, they can't!

Although YouTube started out as a great platform to get wide coverage, that website is now being swamped with video garbage at an unbelievable rate. Since YouTube still has not turned a profit, how long can they continue to function? Who will continue to pay for the broadband and server charges necessary to continue this expansion, if it does not become a profit-generating entity? Obviously, Google has deep-pockets and will continue to try and make YouTube profitable, because of its massive popularity and advertising potential, but when will this bubble burst?

On the other hand, those who make quality videos now find in YouTube a great platform for streaming their products with exceptional quality, but should wake up to the reality that they can no longer depend on YouTube alone to promote it and seek viewers. It appears that the smart quality digital content creator is going to need to explore new avenues for promoting their works and reaching the desired audience.

That's a lot of video. I have never really looked at YouTube as the out let just the storage facility. The fact that you can embed your videos means you can put them all over the place, if thats what people want.

I agree with you that they won't keep YouTube going unless they can make money from it. I don't think Google would have bought it without having a plan, which could mean subscriptions. Now that is a way of reducing the traffic volumes.

To be honest I see the internet as moving toward a corporate autocracy, meaning what we are able to see on the web will be what ever the ISP package you buy, just like the satellite package you get from Sky TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    To be honest I see the internet as moving toward a corporate autocracy, meaning what we are able to see on the web will be what ever the ISP package you buy, just like the satellite package you get from Sky TV.
    I think you are right. The sun is setting on the day of the 'free lunch' on the Internet.

I was hoping you was just going to call me a paranoid conspiracy nut and put my mind at rest. I better go get my tin foil hat. :(

I was hoping you was just going to call me a paranoid conspiracy nut and put my mind at rest. I better go get my tin foil hat. :(
    Resistance is futile!

I was just reading an article which said something which might explain how Google can run YouTube without making money on it. It basicaly says it costs you more to watch a YouTube Video than it does for Google to show it !

"Because Google has so much fiber, it operates one of the largest backbones in the world. It also means that it cantrade bandwidth with others.
    Large Telcos and ISPs have peering arrangements with each other. This means that if they have the capacity, they will carry extra traffic for each other. These peering arrangements mean that Google’s bandwidth bill for all that YouTube video is zero.
    It’s difficult to believe, but your bandwidth bill to watch a YouTube video is more than Google’s. Because of bartering through peering agreements, its only cost is in maintaining its own networks and backbones."

SOURCE

"Because Google has so much fiber, it operates one of the largest backbones in the world. It also means that it cantrade bandwidth with others.
    So, I guess it's true what they say: You will be stronger and healthier by consuming lot's of fiber!
    Last edited by worddigger; 03-19-2010 at 05:46 AM.

Well I guess it will help keep your downloads regular.

Well I guess it will help keep your downloads regular.
    Or when making a Data Dump and then flushing the buffers?