Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AVI Videos Appear Squashed.. Simple Solution?

1. Default AVI Videos Appear Squashed.. Simple Solution?

I'm using a BlackMagic Intensity Pro capture card to capture in 720p. The .avi files captured appear fine when I run them on my desktop with VLC or WMP, as they also function correctly when imported into software like iMovie.

However, when I import the videos into Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 8, the files appear squashed (see image below). Is there an easy way to fix this? I'd be surprised if the internet had yet to encounter this problem before, but I've searched everywhere for an answer without success. Thanks in advance.

I can fix this problem if I run the files through DivX Converter, but I'm looking for a much less tedious way to fix this. (I'm also running on the trial for now)

Unfortunately you omitted the crucial bit of information, what is your project settings. It could just be that you have not got the right size. It needs to be 1280 x 720 for 16:9 ratio (widescreen)
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 03-16-2010 at 11:44 PM.

3. Default

For some reason, it's still squashed regardless of the project size. I feel as if it's more of a codec issue.

The video only takes up 1028 x 360, in this case... :(

Also, if I convert the files back to 720p but through DivX Converter, they work perfectly fine, so the project size shouldn't be an issue. Any other suggestions? Thanks for the input so far.

What happens if you open the Pan/crop tool and select 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio from the presets?

5. Default

That's weird... the video doesn't even stretch out, it just centers (see image).

EDIT: Forgot to change the aspect ratio here, but when I tried 16:9, the exact same thing occurred.

Set the width to 1280 and the hight to 720 and that should be fine.

7. Default

The video is still smashed on import immediately. :(

It's not the project size, the imported file is HALF black and HALF squashed video.

So your saying it's your BlackMagic settings ?

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    So your saying it's your BlackMagic settings ?
    Not quite, because in VLC, Windows Media Player, iMovie, and everything else, the video is completely 100% normal. When I import the video into Sony Vegas, it magically and automatically makes the video into a 50% black 50% content video..

What are your project properties ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast