Thread: Can consumer cameras do chroma keying properly? (say Casio EX-F1 for example)

Default Can consumer cameras do chroma keying properly? (say Casio EX-F1 for example)

Hi people!

I've heard a few times now that only pro gear can do proper chroma keying and that there is no point in even trying with consumer gear. Is this really true? I'm filming with a consumer grade camera, it's actually a DSLR with video function, a Casio EX-F1. It shoots nice HD video in AVC/H.264 or if it's considered AVCHD, not sure which. Could I do some chromakeying of ok quality or should I not even consider trying it?

Blog Entries

Never underestimate the power of working on a budget. Or peoples' belief you need "pro gear". You can, of course, do what you want with the equipment you have. The trick is knowing how to do it, not having the best gear.

Blog Entries

I have chromakeyed a scene filmed on a cheap mini-dv palmcorder and it worked really well.

The secret is getting the original footage as "perfect" as possible. This means a nice clean background and a sharp edged foreground without any of the background colour in it.

I would say "go for it". The Casio seems to have had good reviews so there's no reason why it shouldn't work.

Yes you can do chroma keying with your camera or in fact any camera can.

The important thing about shooting with a green/blue screen is to get an even light over it. Don't let your subject get to close to it. Maybe try back lighting as well.

I'm sure if you search the forum you will find some good tips on how to get the best from shooting with a green screen.

Good luck.

Thank you all for your replies! I assumed it was possible but all the talk about cameras with separate channels made me wonder if that maybe was really necessary to get a decent result. Knowing it's possible I'll get something usable as a background and have a go with it!

ps: I just noticed youtube has some very good videos with hints on lighting and cheap materials etc for any other readers of this thread being beginners in the green area

Thanks for the help!

Default make sure to shoot with lox gain/ISO

lots of good advice here, i have also seen some very successful green screen mattes with consumer grade equipment, so I would give it a shot.

One other thing, try to shoot with a low ISO or gain if your camera allows for it. This will reduce the amount of image noise in the video and allow you to shoot a smoother matte and will help to knock out the green in the video.

Thanks for the advice. I've tried chromakeying now with some varying results but I'd say it'sgood enough for some fun in hobby projects.