Thread: What kit would I need to get results like this?

1. Default What kit would I need to get results like this?

Hi

I'm new to video but pretty OK at photography. I work for a company in the sports industry and I'm on a mission to improve our rich media presence. To do this, I need to persuade my boss to stump up for some kit, but to do that I need to show him what I can do with that kit. It's a Catch 22.

To start with, I would like to produce something like this [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ3tiV830Gw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ3tiV830Gw[/ame] with a number of our sponsored athletes. A bit of talking head, a bit of action footage. Nothing earth-shattering but something i can shoot in one session and edit up in a couple of evenings.

I rather stupidly went and bought a 99 HD Camcorder from Maplin on the weekend and quite frankly I think I could have made a better product in my shed. So, can you guys recommend the type of kit I'd need to get a result like the one above? I'm assuming a light, tape camera (for which I'll need a firewire card), remote mic? I can probably get half/all the cost of the kit back from my boss if the results are any good.

Luke

You would have to give us some sort of budget guideline.

The first thing to decide is do you want to film in Standard or High definition.
    Equipment basics are:- A camera with microphone socket and a tripod, Separate microphone, Computer hardware and software to edit the footage. Possibly lighting as needed.

The trend these days is to move away from DV tape cameras and record on to memory cards but this is not essential. There is such a vast array of options and uses it's hard to recommend specifics.

I hope this helps as a starter.

You may want to consider hiring an external company to do this for you. Or form a contract between the two if it's going to be regular work.

4. Default

Budget...hmm maybe 500-600 ish? I've used a Canon XL2 (I think that was it) which I thought was excellent - I have seen used ones on eBay for around that sort of money.

Unfortunately I didn't have a firewire connection at the time so the results are consigned to tapes somewhere.

I would love to work with a 3rd party for this but everyone we speak to won't get out of bed for less than a grand and for a 30sec- 1 minute web video that's just too expensive.

5. Default

I've also noticed lots of older MiniDV camcorders going on eBay for absolute peanuts, 20-50 in some cases.

To what extent is this type of kit still worth buying? My old man used to have an ancient camera and lenses which he steadfastly refused to upgrade because he was of the opinion that having bought quality in the first place, newer flashier kit didn't mean his gear was less good than it had been.

My footage is only going to be used on the web and nowhere else so I don't need broadcast quality but I do want it crisp and the sound to be clear.

Can anyone give me an idea of the type of resolution (if that's a currency you deal in with video kit) and the technical terms I need to look out for? Especially for external mics. Does 'AV input' mean i can use an external mic? What about 'Audio RCA'?

Also, manual focus. My Chinese Takeaway camera doesn't have it and the AF keeps searching around for focus when I'm shooting talking heads, very annoying. With manual focus presumably I could just get the shot set up and leave it alone?

Sorry for all the questions, I tend to obsess over new hobbies!

Hi Luke - A tight budget, but it's not impossible.
    Tripod = 2nd hand, doesn't need fluid head, so any old thing would do here.
    Camera = This would need av input and a half decent mic. Ebay is a risk unless you can try BFYB.
    Why not look up a video club near you and ask for volunteers to help with each promo? or even camera loan?
    Lighting - B&Q sell portable LED lights for under 100 which would serve your purpose.

All the above is very heath robinson, but no reason why it couldn't mimic what you're after.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

You may want to have a look at hiring stuff first to show off to your boss to get him to invest.

> older MiniDV camcorders going on eBay for absolute peanuts,
    Most Probably worn out buts of kit. Maybe okay for capturing,most people dont look after the camera heads :(

>Can anyone give me an idea of the type of resolution (if that's a currency you deal in with video kit) and the technical terms I need to look out for? Especially for external mics. Does 'AV input' mean i can use an external mic? What about 'Audio RCA'?
    HD looks like the new thing for web video at the moment but i think that's way out of your budget.

>Also, manual focus.

I've just thought of a camera that might be suited to you. Panasonic TM300.

Or you could just rent

8. Default

I've got a tripod from my still photography kit, it's a nice one too so I'm all set there.

I've got a set of B&Q building site lights which belt out a lot of light, they're hotter than the sun but they do the job.

So really, it's all about the camera and mic I guess....