Thread: Bought new cameras...can't do owt wi' footage

Default Bought new cameras...can't do owt wi' footage

Hello,

Yet another newcomer here who probably should have got some more info at the point of sale of my new cameras.

I recently bought a Panasonic HDC TM10 and a Go Pro Hero HD camera. I've rushed out and shot a load of footage which I can play back on the 'puter, but I was left feeling a bit crushed when I discovered Windows Movie Maker couldn't recognise the .mts and .mp4 files.

I have a PC with 4gig ram and a four core processor knocking along at 2400mhz.

I've spent the evening trying to install codecs (I have no idea what I should do with them) and downloading conversion software (Mp4Cam2AVI and Handbrake) but the furthest I've got is a bit of audio with WMM. I've tried VirtualDub too and that's not working for me.

At this stage, I think I'd like to just buy / download some software that will just allow me to upload the footage from my cameras so I can start editing. I'd sooner spend a bit of money (consumer product rather than pro product) as opposed to fiddling around with free patches and codecs and things I don't understand.

I'm sure this is a very common question, and I've read through the first two pages on this board but couldn't find the answer. I'd search but don't know how to distil my question into a few words. I'm grateful for any links to similar threads or advice you can give. Who knows one day I might be able to steer other newcomers on once I get going?

All the best, have a nice night

Dom

Hi Dom,

You can download a trail version of most programs, the one I would recommend for ease of use is Corel Video Studio Pro X3 it has a good selection of output options, other people like Vegas, or Premiere Elements.

Bryan

Thanks for the reply Bryan,

I installed the trial version of the Corel editor today, and managing to upload my .mts and .mp4 files to it.

That didn't work in the advanced settings, so I've had to use the basic settings.

Trying to 'un shake' the footage, but nothing's happening yet. Don't see able to really get much going on so far, guess I need to spend a couple of evenings with it. it just seems very sluggish and I'm not sure how do actually make it 'do something'. There is a bunch of tools on the right - I select one, but nothing seems to happen.

I'll keep pressing on, first hurdle is behind me now

If you have a look under "Settings" you will find "Smart Proxy Manager". I always set up mine to about 720x576, I find this resolution is fine for editing, it only uses these setting for the rough editing as soon as you go to "Share" and select your output, perhaps AVCHD 1920 then it switches back to the original MTS files, it just makes editing a lot easier.

Something else that I find worth checking is that the overlays are full screen by going into "Settings" "Preferences" "Edit". I always put a tick in the box for "Use Fit-to-Screen as default size in overlay tracks"

Bryan

Default Getting to grips now...one more question

With the settings for the Smart Proxy Manager, is it so that the lower the values, the faster my PC will be able to handle the editing process? What's the trade off for editing on values <720x576 - is it just that I won't be able to see the finer detail as I edit?

My other and main question is De Shake.

Thanks a lot for your help Bryan, I was having a grim old time the other night. Now I feel that with a big of patience, a comfy chair and a steady flow of tea and coffee that I'll be able to create a film yet.

Much of the filming I intend to edit will come from helmet and board mounted cameras for surfing. I've even managed to figure out how to apply the anti-shake which is one of the big things I'll be using. I had some test footage we took from sitting on a horse and managed to smooth that out a bit. Are there any Smart Proxy Manager settings I should use to Anti Shake clips?

I'm impressed with the Corel program, and after a bit of a learning session tonight, I'm beginning to find my way around it. I'll be upgrading to the full version before my trial is through no question.

Thanks again,

Dom

Hi Dom,

I only use smart proxy 720x576 to ease the load on the processor, and don't seem to gain a lot as far as editing is concerned by using much higher resolution, but I always output at the full res of 1920x1080i as well as make a copy to put on Youtube or Vimeo at 720P.

I'm afraid the shakes are very difficult to get rid of, I use the Optical Stabilizer but still find it only does a partial job if we are out on the water, sorry can't offer any real solutions.

Bryan

Thanks Bryan for your help here;

I've been doing some more tinkering with my footage and getting some satisfactory results. Part of my initial problem was that I was trying to compare the slick base jumping footage on the Go Pro site to the stuff we captured on horseback...

Filmed me and my mate boxing tonight with the Go Pro mounted on a helmet. Working through it now

Blog Entries

That's quite a few links to PavTube you've posted. Please don't post any more SPAM, we get the message.