Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How can I get around this issue for my new movie?

Default How can I get around this issue for my new movie?

I'm busy scripting my follow up to 'Final Hit' and, given the subject matter, I wanted to have some sort of shoot-out in the movie.

Well, yesterday, to help facilitate this, I bought (in a great little shop for such things in Eton High Street) an airsoft gun. It only cost me just over 30 and has a silencer as well. Great stuff.

Anyway, when I actually read all the bumph it actually states that these things (because they fire little plastic BBs an can look real from anything over about two yards) can only be used on private land with express permission. Taking them to public land can (or will?) result in a custodial sentence. Bugger!

How can I make my movie now? Any point in carrying on.

There's some great forest land in Berkshire. I had plans to go there and we could run around all day pretending to shoot each other with the camera rolling. Should we just find a deep dark corner and hope no-one sees us or what? I just reckon that if I ask the local council it will be far easier for them to just say no than to actually think about it and realise there's no harm in it all because, at the end of the day, it's just (big) kids with cap guns isn't it?

Anyone here own any woodland I could use?

This will really bugger me up!

Blog Entries

As long as you make it clear you're filming to anyone passing by, I don't see how anyone would mistake it for a real gun (and that's the only way the police could possibly find out).

As with all things, it's a case of being sensible. After all, it's illegal to download and copy copyright music, break the speed limit and use USB to transfer video... but people do it all the time!

My thoughts exactly. However I'd hate for my own movie to be used as proof against me in a court as 'Exhibit A'. So I would rather do thing properly if possible. Of course, I would have to weight up 'possible' and 'convenient' carefully

Has anyone done any filming out-and-about where a caracter is holding a gun? Any issues or experiences?

Blog Entries

Why not find out if there is a local paintball club and ask them?
    They would probably love to be `extras` and they generally use woodland with old buildings etc.

A great backdrop me thinks!

Quote Originally Posted by turnmedia
    Why not find out if there is a local paintball club and ask them?
    They would probably love to be `extras` and they generally use woodland with old buildings etc.

A great backdrop me thinks!
    I thought about this idea as well. I'm not so sure it'll be viable though. they would charge us, at least the daily paintball rates to use their facilities. And as they wouldn't then be able to have others with real paintball guns on the grounds while we're running around shouting 'bang bang' at each other, they'll then want some more money for other lost revenue. I know I would! Needless to say this would make the cost of the idea somewhat prohibitive me reckons.

I will investigate this idea properly though if I don't come up trumps any other way.

Blog Entries

Or, alternatively, Risk it for a Swis-kit.

How many years inside?

Blog Entries

Actually Aln, you would be surprised how many days these places are not in use. Up here (Notts/ Lincs) I know that many paintball places have alot of days free, when the usual crowd of middle management wannabeateamleadersdavidbrentites actually have to do some work.

Quote Originally Posted by turnmedia
    Or, alternatively, Risk it for a Swis-kit.
    Haven't heard that one for a while. Showing your age methinks

How many years inside?
    6 months just for 'showing' a replica firearm in a public place. Seriously! :cry:

It must be do-able though. We see it on TV all the time. I think maybe I need to have a visit to the local cop-shop and find out the real rules then.... just film it in another county while no-one's looking

Bluescreen!
    COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
    Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
    Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11

Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.

Quote Originally Posted by purejammy
    Bluescreen!
    That might be an idea. Most of the longer shots we could just be holding anything the post production muzzle flashes and sound will make it obvious what's happening eh?. Only show the actual guns during the few verbal exchanges i.e. closeups which could be bluescreened. Wirth a try.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast