Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! Crash Deleted Project!

Angry HELP! Crash Deleted Project!

I am like freaking out right now Vegas crashed during a test render (12 hours of editing) and after the crash (even after a computer restart) the project file itself is gone! I checked the recycling bin and Vegas did not restore anything the project is completely gone? Do I get ready to sue Sony or is there an explanation here. What a waste of time!
    Why am I an editor? ...because I'm a bad filmer!
    ☮ ♫ ☾ ☆ ☼ ☯ ~ Live Long & Prosper

2. Default

I can't answer your problem, but I think it is related to the problem I've been experiencing in the thread entitled "what happened?"

I didn't loose the whole project, just some events. This was after completing a render and twice when a render crashed the PC (that was the worse because I lost some audio events as well as video and stills).

I contacted SCS support but they seemed to think mine is an isolated case and suggest I do all the usual: make sure I am using the latest release ((9.0c), defrag the drive run the clean disk utility. stop non-essential programs and anti virus before rendering.

I am rendering again now and it seems to be going OK but this is disturbing

Castman
    Uses:
    Canon XH-G1
    Sony Vegas Pro 9e
    gallons of coffee

Hmm, sounds a bit different this is way worse. I lost the entire .veg file that contained all the project information (cuts, effects, the entire timeline) all my original files are still on my HDD its just the time-line project file is missing.

4. Default

I'm not sure, I think there are similarities. All my files are in the computer just not on the timeline. The only difference seems to be that you lost your entire veg file, I only lost some of the data/events in the veg file.

Castman
    Uses:
    Canon XH-G1
    Sony Vegas Pro 9e
    gallons of coffee

Good point, I cannot possibly think of the explanation for how an entire file like that is lost when its not being moved, just open or used. I searched the entire HDD for all .veg files even hidden files! This is total BS if I am going to render my documentary like this. This 10 min video that took 12 hours means an hour long documentary will take me days to edit so If I lost that Id drive off a cliff.

I've got genuine sympathy for you, but........back up, back up, back up, is as true today as it's ever been - especially with something you've spent 12hrs grafting on! As I suggested to castman; Check out the trial of Excalibur, which leaves an excellent autosave feature fully working when the trial runs out - Thanks to Ed Troxell's generosity. Have you tried looking in C:\users\name of your PC\appdata\local\sonyvegaspro\9.0 which is where Vegas stores it's 'restored' .veg files? I've got my fingers and everything else crossed for you!!

You need to turn on 'show hidden files' to see appdata.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    I've got genuine sympathy for you, but........back up, back up, back up, is as true today as it's ever been - especially with something you've spent 12hrs grafting on! As I suggested to castman; Check out the trial of Excalibur, which leaves an excellent autosave feature fully working when the trial runs out - Thanks to Ed Troxell's generosity. Have you tried looking in C:\users\name of your PC\appdata\local\sonyvegaspro\9.0 which is where Vegas stores it's 'restored' .veg files? I've got my fingers and everything else crossed for you!!

I'm guna try this when I get home from NH! I thought I looked there but now I'm starting to wonder. And yes I will definitely start backing things up because my raid config is obviously not efficient the way its set up. Thanks!

Talking

You were right! I found it before even trying this I went to save another project and in the save directory (app data) I saw my old project and right clicked copy and pasted it to my desktop and it opened! Wooo

Phew!! And now you've backed it up of course?

Phew!! And now you've backed it up of course?
    On an external, my dads computer and two thumb drives

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast