Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Profesional Quality Sound

Default Getting Profesional Quality Sound

I've found a realy good work around when shooting sound, using a domestic camera, instead of recording straight to camera i record to a morantz and use a clapper board to resync the rushes in post

excuse my ignorance raymondo but what is a morantz

Hi
    Its a semi pro hard disk recorder, if you attatch a good quality mic to it you get the best sound and the best picture, im using this technique on a low budget feature im working on at the moment
    hope this helps

It's a company that makes audio equipment.

I presume he's talking about a digital recorded

5. Default

I've been doing that with an Edirol RO9 but now hit a problem..... one section of video I now want to use was recorded just with the ME66 on the camera , and it is VERY noticeable it's the difference like playing Led Zepplin on a 78rpm wind-up gramaphone and a high end Bang and Olufsen!

Well, slight exagerration as either sound track would be acceptible for the whole film, but not when side-by-side, the Edirol gives a warmer, bassier sound which I guess is what Edirol are about

Castman
    Uses:
    Canon XH-G1
    Sony Vegas Pro 9e
    gallons of coffee

Blog Entries

I guess you've got to spend a lot of time playing with EQ either in your NLE or in a separate Audio Editor.
    I'm sure there are tools available to help analyse sound (Spectrum Analysers?) whether that might help in matching one to another I don't know.
    Irrespective the final judge will be your ears.
    Tim

7. Default

Tim, you are quite correct Vegas has an array of audio tools, the problem is learning what they do and how they affect sound recordings. I, and I'd guess many others, totally under estimated audio quality and matching. In my case I have produced a film 37mins, it has a fairly even mix of camera recording (using a Sennheiser ME66) voice-over via an Edirol R09 and a wireless Audio technica lapel mic which I borrowed.

The audio on each is very different. whilst I have managed to get volume levels even, it is the tone that now makes a big difference - especially when camera recordings merge to voice-over. The Edirol has a very rich deep, bassy quality - which is great for music (prossibly what you'd expect from Roland, the makers).

I am considering re-doing all voice-over to camera and extracting the audio from the tape. By the time I've messed around with EQ's - not knowing what I'm doing! I could have re-recorded...and no doubt be able to make my own version of "It'll be alright on the night"
    Last edited by castman; 03-15-2010 at 12:29 PM.

Castman
    Uses:
    Canon XH-G1
    Sony Vegas Pro 9e
    gallons of coffee

Blog Entries

Any chance you could post a 20 second audio sample from each source so others here could have a go at sound matching?
    I'm sure Midnight will try to rise to the challenge.
    Tim

9. Default

Tim, thanks for offering Midnight's service's I spent all yesterday afternoon re-recording the voice-overs. I had already managed to get the wireless mic sound very similar to the camera (ME66) sound so have successfully completed that part of the project.

It still remains something of concern that there lies within my kit a huge incompatibility with the Edirol and the ME66, neither the camera (Canon XH-G1) or the Edirol have the means to adjust any kind of tonal range, which means that if I want to film and do voice-overs I am going to have to throw the Edirol away and use the camera just to record voice and delete the stream - or spend a lot of time fiddling about in post trying to match up the sound.

Castman
    Uses:
    Canon XH-G1
    Sony Vegas Pro 9e
    gallons of coffee

Firstly I'd like to thank my manager Tim, for trying to get me work.

I think the key to achieve what your after if to use the different mics for different types of sound recording. BUT keep a constant within each project. This will save a lot of time in post. I know you already know this now. I state this for others who come to the thread later to save them making the same error.

I know I'm stating the obvious but thats me isn't it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast