Thread: VHS tapes to computer via VCR

Default VHS tapes to computer via VCR

NOVICE!!!
    I have many VHS tapes which I want to transfer to a new computer which I expect to receive soon. It has Windows XP Home SP2 and Ati Radeon X800XT graphics card and editing software yet to be selected.
    My Sony SLV-E930UX VCR has scart and AV connection.
    I would be very grateful for advice re. suitable connection methods i.e. cables/accessory.

Brian: I would do a search on this topic as it has been covered many times here. However, what you need first and foremost is some kind of 'box' that will sit between your VCR and your PC that will convert the VCR's VHS/analogue output to digital input to your PC. This will cost you anything from around 50 for a Belkin in-line dongle through 130 for a Canopus ADVC-55 (which is what I use) and on up from there. With some of this hardware, you get editing software packaged in so the choice is made for you. In terms of connection, my VCR has a SCART out socket, and I use an adaptor to convert the SCART out to video out and left/right stereo out. This then goes into the Canopus box. The Canopus box is then connected to the PC via Firewire.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

Default VHS tapes to computer via VCR

Hello Ian
    I have examined my Sony TRV620E Digitla 8 camcorder manual since receiving your advice and found the following chapter "Using with analog video unit and PC - Signal convert function" and it seems that my camera can do the 'in-between bit'. It adds that "You need to install software which can exchange video signals" As I said in my post I haven't yet decided on which software to get but, having read other posts, I am inclined to go for the Adobe Premier Elements. Do you know if that type of software would exchange video signals as above or do I need some other dedicated sotware?
    Many thanks for taking the time to help - you probably understand why I headed my post "Novice"!
    Brian.

Brian: well, this is an area of not much knowledge for me, but I know there are camcorders which allow you to attach an analog source e.g. VCR and pass through the signal, which is converted by the camera into a digital signal which you can then pass on to your PC, typically via a Firewire link. Then, you can just go ahead and edit the resulting file. My confusion arises somewhat as a result of "You need to install software which can exchange video signals" which may well be a direct translation from the original Japanese: do they mean that there's something you need to do to your camera that will e.g. upgrade the firmware, or are they talking about a video editing package for your PC? It's a bit of a mystery. Once you've got an editable digital file in your PC, though, I'd say Premiere Elements was by some way your best bet - but shop around for it.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

Thanks Ian
    Yes, I also suspect that normal software e.g. Elements, will cope with any problems following capture and I am pleased to note your positive comment re. Elements. I will get a copy.
    Once again many thanks, you have been very helpful
    Brian.

Thanks Ian
    Yes, I also suspect that normal software e.g. Elements, will cope with any problems following capture and I am pleased to note your positive comment re. Elements. I will get a copy.
    Once again many thanks, you have been very helpful
    Brian.