Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happened?

1. Default What happened?

Before I take a sledge hammer to my computer (and all around) can someone give me any idea of what I have done?

I have 35mins of video put down, there are a total of 6 tracks 3 audio 2 video 1 stills - all about ready for rendering, which I thought I would do today.

I switched the computer of today and opened up vegas Pro 9 and found that after approx 20 mins there is suddenly a 5 or 6 second 'gap' in the video (just a space) the main audio seems in place, but one audio track (effects) is also off-set I can't actually work out of it is by the same amount as the video. Forward about 45 seonds and the same problem...this goes on twice more beofre returning to near normal except that the one audio track is out all along it's length.

It was perfect when I saved and closed it last night

Castman
    Uses:
    Canon XH-G1
    Sony Vegas Pro 9e
    gallons of coffee

It was the computer pixies.

Sorry just trying to lighten the mood.

If you put it right, save it, close it down and then open it up again does it stay ok.

3. Default

@MB Don't know yet, there's a lot of fiddling around needed to get it right (included a number of clips needing to be lip-synched coz the audio was ungrouped!) so to save me tearing my hair out, causing 's of damage to PC, breaking windows, desks, bookshelves, desklamp and killing the dog..... I decided to 'sleep on it' - good idea I think you'll agree!

The strange thing is whenever I save - which I do about every ten mins - I also save a back-up copy on a third HDD - and that is also the same, OK maybe that's not so strange if I saved a duff copy, but I swear (frequently!) that last night, I saved the entire project... before I played it to check for any problems - it was fine - and then shut down the computer intending to render at some stage today..... really weird

Castman
    Uses:
    Canon XH-G1
    Sony Vegas Pro 9e
    gallons of coffee

Yes good idea to sleep on it. I've never heard of a problem like this.

Really odd one that. If it changed after you saved, you should have been asked "would you like to save changes...blah blah" when closing. I'd recommend you install a trial of Excalibur for the auto save function - which remains active even after the trial runs out. You could then go back to an earlier version - saved my bacon a few times!

6. Default

@Archie: What is Excalibur... apart from a sword, of course!

Something odd happened today that might lead somewhere towards explaining at least part of the problem. When I started Vegas thismorning a pop-up ....popped up telling me E:\Vegas Proect Files\Music\Pavane -Repose_Bgnd-55sec.wav could not be found, and three other background music files also.

This is odd because whilst 2 files are no longer needed nor on the timeline, the other 2 files are needed and are on the timelines - and still play(!) They weren't accidently deleted - they're not in the recycle bin...so what the ~*$%ing hell is going on I ask???

STOP PRESS: The two files that are still required are still in situ, exactly where they've always been so why did Vegas think they were missing?
    Last edited by castman; 03-11-2010 at 09:39 AM.

Castman
    Uses:
    Canon XH-G1
    Sony Vegas Pro 9e
    gallons of coffee

Some time things just happen and we just have to accept that "it's the way of things" and just move on. A bit like when Granny lets on off, it happens but you just accept it and move on.

Vegas has obviously got into some sort of confusion about what files are where for "no particular reason".

When you have finished your project I would recommend a bit of house keeping on your PC inc. clearing unwanted files, a defrag, registry scan, etc...

I hope your project works ok.

8. Default

It's so weird...as you sau sh*t happens. I just wondered if it was anything I might have inadvertently done.

I have got it back together and am in the process of rendering as I type (it's been rendering 6mins and I have about 20seconds of the film completed - it's going to be a long one!

Actually my PC is a clean install. I specifically built it for video, very barebones (software wise) and only has programmes and files specifically for video and this is the first project on it, so I don't think it's a house-keeping issue

Castman
    Uses:
    Canon XH-G1
    Sony Vegas Pro 9e
    gallons of coffee

Well at least it's working now. The only way we would know for sure if it was user error or program error is to be there watching over your shoulder.

One way to help prevent user error is not to do what I do, which is to drink a number of glasses of red wine while editing.

Only thing I can think of that might have happened is possibly some file or folder was moved or re named.

Excalibur

All of this is starting to sound like a HDD problem. Have you checked what speed it's running at? Is UDMA enabled? Never known a render in Vegas to take that long - even using my old PC. I'd back up your files just in case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast