Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sarah & Allison's new Video

1. Default Sarah & Allison's new Video

Our band Death by Guitar's 2nd music video finally makes it out of the house!
    We are tremendously indebted to this forum for all the help we received with it . We had a lot of problems!
    In particular if it wasn't for Grazie, Archie & Midnight Blue this video would still be on our computer & our computer would be in the dustbin!
    We picked our longest song this time, so the challenge was to keep people's interest for 4 minutes.
    So what you have is a story, our imaginations working overtime & some surprises....oh & 3 mums & a son.... & any men we could persuade to join in. Does that sound familiar?

Sarah & Allison & Tina

Blog Entries

Haven't looked yet (at work), but now I've got something to look forward to tonight as University Challenge has been sidelined for something involving Kate Humble giving birth to lambs.
    Tim

I think Tim was a big help too.

It almost goes without saying I loved the video and the song, it's much more musically serious than the last one. You have managed to put so much in the video which gives it longevity. Meaning you can watch it again and again.

I like that you put in a variety of shots like at around the 1 min mark but I think this could have been done even more. Close ups would be good and help with the holding of interest, your all good looking women so there is no excuse. There were some green screen issues in places but I'm sure you know about them. Example of the worst is at 2:32 when the man drops his machete. I do understand the limitations of your set up so I won't bang on about these. One very good example of how to get around these limitations is at 3:40 when you use the door to hide the edge of the green screen.

If I was being hyper critical I would recommend re editing the section at 2:02 I think I saw the guitar and bass come back in shot before the background changed this would have been better if it was in sync. BUT I'm not being hyper critical.

You kept my interest throughout so that would seem you managed to achieve your objective. One of the best things about the video is how you all work well in front of the camera.

Any way every body will hate me if I don't leave things for them to say, so I'll shut up now.

Another winner ladies. Well done for not giving up when it would have been easier to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I think Tim was a big help too.

It almost goes without saying I loved the video and the song, it's much more musically serious than the last one. You have managed to put so much in the video which gives it longevity. Meaning you can watch it again and again.
    I'll go along with that! Having seen all three versions that have been uploaded to youtube, each an improvement on the previous version, I know how much work has been put in getting it to your satisfaction. There is also a lot of imagination gone into it, something I can imaging you all sitting around the kitchen table thashing it out!

Midnight has correctly identified a few problems still with the greenscreen, but also the limitations of the setup. I'd love to see what you could come up with on a proper set or on a location where the screen wasn't required, even if you have to scrape the bottom of your collective purses to hire one!

Overall a grand second effort.
    I have six honest, serving men. They taught me all I knew.
    Their names are What and Why and When. And How and Where and Who! (Rudyard Kipling)
    http://www.sharpmedia.org.uk

Loved it. Thanks for taking the time and effort.

I particularly like the close up of the bass at 1:07 (but it's a personal thing. I love closeups of instruments).

There is something odd with the audio around 0:15. I hear a very quick (and very quiet) note or two. I suspect it should have been completely quiet until the song starts.

I thought the audio recording was very good.

Thanks for taking time to record the backing vocals, but I would prefer them to be higher in the mix.

The guitars all sounded clear. Although they get positioned in the stereo; I suspect they sound exactly the same on both channels (other than just being louder or softer). Although the original sound comes from a mono instrument; some might recommend adding a stereo echo/reberb to add ambiance and thus better position the instruments in a 3d space.
    This is particularly noticeable with the Lead solo, where some careful processing would turn a perfectly acceptable solo into one which was sounded amazing and legendary.

Need to get my tennis racket out now, so I can play air guitar while I watch the video again
    Last edited by TimAndrews; 03-08-2010 at 07:00 PM.

6. Default

Wow thanks for all the positive feedback & the words of advice, we're really pleased you all like our video.
    We really needed to hear that because the last few weeks of trying to rescue this project have not been enjoyable.

Midnight Blue: We're nervous of close ups & it wont get any better. We're in our 40s, we look a lot younger from a distance!

Some of the green screen issues we admit are embarrassingly bad.This is a mixture of the talent not realising how small the green screen area actually is & straying out of it & Vegas going haywire on us & all our masks not drawing in the right places. We literally had to guess where to draw the mask to get the masking effect we needed

Yes Tim is an absolute treasure (even when we dont understand his humour) & always helps, & we dont mean to ignore him (the 1st video probably wouldnt have happened without his help). But the 2 who got this video off the PC & onto the web when we were completely stuck were Grazie & Archie.
    We also wanted to thank you MB because you replied to every plea we made for help even when you hadnt got the answer & encouraged us constantly.

Ian A: We had no idea people had seen our secret uploads of the trial video. We removed them quickly & assumed the video was still our secret.

Tim Andrews: The odd sound at 0.15 is a mystery, it's not on the original song recording & although I discovered it on one of our secret uploads i forgot to remove it!
    To fatten Tina's guitar sound in the mix we usually take two different takes & pan them L & R.
    Adding reverb in the mix we have found to be a delicate business , sometimes it will lift an instrument but often it just seems to muddy everything. Getting everything clear is a real art & we have tremendous respect for sound engineers who do this professionally.
    I take your point about the guitar solos, I think they're great but yes they could have been awesome with the right processing.
    Tina also has a tennis racket so dont feel embarrassed.

Sarah
    Last edited by Sarah & Allison; 03-08-2010 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah & Allison View Post
    Midnight Blue: We're nervous of close ups & it wont get any better. We're in our 40s, we look a lot younger from a distance!
    Don't be we won't be in fact I'm because to me you all look .

I seem to remember you using that excuse last time. I'm afraid it doesn't wash with me. My wife is 50 and look what she's dressed like in the trailer I posted.

You are performers so you have to be seen. End of.....

Blog Entries

I think I added nothing to the discussion/confusion by way of help with this one. It was all about nesting problems and format issues and I know ther are others here with far more experience than me in those areas. And I know when to butt out (OK sometimes I know when to butt out)

But what a stonking video!

Do you do all the animation directly in Vegas with track motion? I can see it can be easily done (that is, technically easy - you have to have the imagination to do it in the first place) and shows how good Vegas really is.

What I love is you manage to get so much into the video - as Midnight says it bears watching time and time again - but its rarely (never?) messy and nothing distracts from anything else.

Some of the imperfections could have been overcome (one that hasn't been mentioned is the disappearing top of the van at 1:00 - BTW I absolutely loved that sequence) but I think the overall quality is absolutely fine. It has a slightly "grunge" feel and I'd be careful of making it look too slickly produced - that might well detract.

You have made two of the most enjoyable and creative amateur videos I've ever seen. I hope you never get a chance to make a professional one! (OK well I hope you do for your own sakes, obviously, but I love the look and feel and the fact this is all self-made and hard work and most of all fun. Well done.

EDIT: PS I agree with Midnight abut a few close-ups to add a bit more variety. These don't have to be facial, if you're feeling insecure. Note TimA's comment about the closeup of the bass.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 03-09-2010 at 08:09 AM.
    Tim

9. Default

Thanks for a great review Tim!
    The animation was all done using keyframes in the Pan/Crop Tool . We've never touched Track motion until things started to go badly wrong & Grazie suggested we use it instead.
    We've come to have the utmost respect for your opinion over the months we've spent at this forum & if you say "Ours are 2 of the most enjoyable & creative amateur videos you've ever seen" we know that is quite an accolade.

We never noticed the top of the van disappearing! Oh dear what else have we missed!
    We'll work on the close ups for the next video we do.

Sarah & Allison & Tina

Fantastic. Imaginative. Energetic. I must admit I didn't notice any of the issues mentioned above when I watched it because the joyfullness of it all just carried it along. Well done!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast