Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pregers

Broken Wings Guest

Default erase me please

erase me please

this is a waste of energy.
    Last edited by Broken Wings; 03-05-2010 at 12:32 PM.

Blog Entries

Technically perfect, pity that the characters come from the "Short Film School of Overacting".

Blog Entries

edit: Above sarcastic post deleted by Broken Wings

You're welcome. To clarify, it's a pity that your productions, made with equipment and facilities most video-makers dream about, fall down with poor acting.

The sound, camerawork, editing etc are all very slick and professional, get the performers right and you'd have a superb video.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 03-05-2010 at 01:27 PM.

Blog Entries

Edit: This is in reply to a post, subsequently deleted by Broken Wings in which he gripoed that I hadn't praised his work.

Oh I see... you only wanted compliments and praise. My mistake, please excuse me.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 03-05-2010 at 12:59 PM.

Blog Entries

Edit: This is in reply to the above deleted post in which broken Wings threw down the gauntlet asking to see something I'd made.

If you live in Germany my footage is on every evening this week, in the UK, then you can see something I've filmed most evenings on BBC2. In the USA it's more difficult but you can see a lot of my stuff on Discovery and National Geographic channels, mainly docu-dramas about space travel at the moment.
    There are numerous shorts of mine in this forum, none of which were shot at work, all made with a just-for-fun consumer camcorder. I once made the mistake of making a "This is me at work" video which got a lot of negative comments about me blowing my own trumpet and showing off, all of which were valid, so I removed it.
    Unfortunately I haven't worked on a theatrical 35mm movie in the last ten years, which probably means that my opinions are worthless.

That is irrelevant. Even someone who doesn't play the piano can tell when a work is performed badly.

Most of the people who post videos here, including me, show productions made on cheap consumer camcorders with home-made kit and no budget. Your films have been made with all the facilities of a well equipped film school with a full crew and plenty of time. In other words they are "professional" productions and should be viewed as such.

Where they fall down is in the lack of originality (be honest, the false-impression pregnant woman is an old Benny Hill favourite) and in the poor acting. I don't believe that the man is an expectant father, nor that the girl is a mother about to give birth. They come across as actors.
    In the same way, the other shorts are technically perfect but lacking in emotion. The actors all come across as being pleased with themselves "look at me mum I'm acting" and this detracts from the enjoyment.

Now please excuse me I have to go to work.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 03-05-2010 at 12:56 PM.

Core, Gaffer in full flow. We don't often get to see that but its fun when we do. It reminds me of the times I have intervened in trouble when I was off duty. It always made me smile when someone used to say who do you think you are, the police ? Arresting them was always more satisfying after that

Broken wings, I enjoyed your film but I enjoyed the ensuing discussion even more.

Totally agree with every thing Shrimpy said.

Gaffer, I liked your "La Dolce Vita" movie.

IMHO the acting style commonly appears when actors are asked to improvise, or can't be bothered to learn the original script. e.g. I doubt the 'F' word appeared in the original script.

Some of the best lines lose considerable impact because they are garbled. Whatever the reason, I would have liked more insight into these two characters than we get in the 3 mins.

I am full or admiration for the shots inside the car. I am ignorant of such techniques; so don't have a clue how it might have been done.

I don't think you would come into someones house and spout off like this to someone you don't know. It's rather rude and creates a bad impression of you. All Gaffer originally said was he thought the acting was poor but he did say your video was technically perfect, which is very high praise. Now I understand that you feel protective for your people, that's understandable. I would be the same. This section of the forum is "Just for fun", lets keep it that way.

In the user videos section of the forum people post there videos for critique. If you take umbrage at what is being said you need to develop a thicker skin. Any comment is only ever put forward to help the individual to develop there skills. It is never intended to be a personal attack. It would be a shame to loose someone from the forum with your talent for film making. You could both learn and help others with their film making. So lets just try a bit harder to get along.

Blog Entries

Bloody hell, talk about thin skinned.

For the information of those who missed the thread before our budding Tarentino deleted all his sarcastic comments, he posted a number of videos made (apparently) at a film school. No doubt a good film school going by the facilities which were available and the technical quality which was top notch however... IMHO he came here expecting to be praised and worshipped since his contributions were technically far superior to the facilities most of us have available.
    Anyone can make a film when you have a whole crew and film school to play with so I commented on the acting and direction which were not up to much in my opinion.

Cue: Throwing of toys out of pram and hissy fit.

I did make a mistake in that I answered in the "Just for fun" section and not one of the eight videos the OP posted in the Users Videos section.

If you turn up at a go-kart rally with a formula 1 car, don't expect to be praised just because you get round the circuit quicker than the kids in their home-made buggies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast