Thread: External HDD for video editing laptop

Default External HDD for video editing laptop

Hi all

This is my first post so apologies if I make any Faux Pas, I think I am posting in the correct section but anyway.
    I am in the market for an external desktop HDD to edit HD video from directly. I have been recommended the WD Elements External Hard Drive - 1TB for its reasonable price and 7200rpm spindle speed. WD Elements External Hard Drive - 1TB at cheap prices | Pcworld
    My only concern is it uses a usb 2.0 connection and I fear the transfer rate may not be fast enough. Should I invest in an external with an e-sata port or would it be overkill?

Other info
    I will be editing on a Windows 7 machine using Adobe Premier Pro.
    I would like to spend no more than 100.
    Portability is not a priority.

Thanks in advance for any help, if I have missed anything out please let me know and I will update accordingly.

Depend what format you video is in.

In anycase, i'd recommend getting something with at least a firewire port. eSata would be the fastest, and the most future proof.

I wouldn't go USB for HD editing. At least Firewire 800 would be somewhat safe. All depend of the size of your HD files and the compression used.

Besides my main Fibre Channel Raid, I have a one year old Lacie 1TB drive with Firewire connections 400 and 800 that has worked pretty well handling HD work connected through the 800 port of my Mac. (this is the model: LaCie Big Disk Extreme+ 1 TB USB 2.0/FireWire 400/FireWire 800 Desktop External Hard Drive 301199U: Electronics)
    How you can see it's discontinued.

I think this is a new version. LaCie d2 Quadra Hard Disk 1 TB USB 2.0/FireWire 400/800/eSATA Desktop External Hard Drive 301442U (Aluminum): Electronics

Thank you Editinglinks

I had been looking at the LaCie models and I think I will go with the one you suggested as they come highly recommended.

thank you for your help.