Thread: HDV or DV???

Default HDV or DV???

I am currently using a Sony HVR V1 to shoot some projects and have been happy enough just shooting them in DV then editing them in Vegas and rendering with the DVD Architect template.

My question is, would there be any great quality jump if i shot in HDV, imported the footage into vegas as HDV, then rendered as MPEG to still get it in DVD format?

Or am i better shooting in HDV then down converting to DV when i import footage from camera to Vegas?

Is there any great quality difference to be had by using either method?

Thanks in advance for your help

Ian

This is an interesting question to which I would like to know the answer. At the moment I can't edit in HD due to my computer not been up to it but I shoot in 720P so that when I can do it I'll have all the raw HD footage to edit with. I convert everything through the camera, from solid state memory to DV tape, down to SD and capture that into Vegas.

I guess the only way you will know is to do a 10 second test using the different ways and see what you think gives the best results with you set up.

I'd be interested to know the results.

I shoot n HD and edit in HD (on Sony) and then render down to normal SD DVD
    I am using a quad core and mp4 from a JVC MH700

I did a HDV edit on a 2.7Ghz with no problems in 2008 (from Sony 270) made a blue ray and DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by Z Cheema View Post
    I shoot n HD and edit in HD (on Sony) and then render down to normal SD DVD
    I am using a quad core and mp4 from a JVC MH700

I did a HDV edit on a 2.7Ghz with no problems in 2008 (from Sony 270) made a blue ray and DVD.
    Thanks for replying guys,

Was there any big difference in quality over doing the whole process in DV?