Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: External HDD for video editing laptop

Default External HDD for video editing laptop

Hi all

This is my first post so apologies if I make any Faux Pas, I think I am posting in the correct section but anyway.
    I am in the market for an external desktop HDD to edit HD video from directly. I have been recommended the WD Elements External Hard Drive - 1TB for its reasonable price and 7200rpm spindle speed. WD Elements External Hard Drive - 1TB at cheap prices | Pcworld
    My only concern is it uses a usb 2.0 connection and I fear the transfer rate may not be fast enough. Should I invest in an external with an e-sata port or would it be overkill?

Other info
    I will be editing on a Windows 7 machine using Adobe Premier Pro.
    I would like to spend no more than £100.
    Portability is not a priority.

Thanks in advance for any help, if I have missed anything out please let me know and I will update accordingly.

Accidentally double posted. please use this thread.

thanks again.

I think you are right to be concerned about the transfer rate of the USB 2.0 connection. Is there a reason why you can't buy another internal HD this would be much more suitable.

Sorry if I didnt make it clear, The HDD is to boost the storage of a laptop. I could install a secondary drive into the bay where my Blue ray drive is located but an external would be preferable.

I am guessing you would reccomend a drive with an e-sata connection?

Thank you for the reply

I was wondering if that was the reason. Yes I would recommend going down the route of the eSATA connection. Sorry for recommending the more expensive option but it will give you less grief in the long run. Personally I would never consider an external hard drive except for storage. BUT I guess the technology is catching up with the need.

Hope it works out for you.

My opinion is, if you can get a Firewire HDD will save you a lot of time over the USB one. I know there might be some price difference but in the long run it will be worth it.

At school I once was told that it is recommended to keep the media in a different HDD from the software because that way the editing will be faster since the computer won't have to be reading the media from the HDD at the same time that it might have to read anything from the program, that's without mentioning whatever other programs might be running at the same time.

Check newegg has some good prices.
    GoPro Hero 3+ Silver Edition
    GoPro Hero

• Macbook Pro 2.5 GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 with 16 GB RAM
    with Intel Iris Pro Graphics + AMD Radeon R9 M370X / 2GB GDDR5 memory
    • Avid Media Composer v8.3
    • Baselight 4.3.5
    • DaVinci Resolve 12
    • Avid Artist Color
    • Adobe After Effect CS6

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” Albert Einstein

I'm sure your teacher would be pleased to know you were listening during class. He is right and now so are you.

lol MB you never know if my teacher might be a user from this forum
    GoPro Hero 3+ Silver Edition
    GoPro Hero

• Macbook Pro 2.5 GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 with 16 GB RAM
    with Intel Iris Pro Graphics + AMD Radeon R9 M370X / 2GB GDDR5 memory
    • Avid Media Composer v8.3
    • Baselight 4.3.5
    • DaVinci Resolve 12
    • Avid Artist Color
    • Adobe After Effect CS6

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” Albert Einstein

Thanks Rebel. A secondary drive that is used for storing your footage is known as a scratch disk so yes your tutour was right.

Do you own an external HDD or could you reccomend one? However i should tell you I live in the uk so best buy is not an option but feel free to reccomend any drive you want and I will see if it is available in the UK.

Thanks for the reply.

I didnt mean bestbuy I meant newegg but you know what I mean

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast