Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Background Music From Video

Default Getting Background Music From Video

There is a video that has some nice background music in it. Unfortunately, its been hidden by all the talking and the sound effects in the video. What I'm trying to do is get rid of the talking and sound effects as best as I can to listen to the background music. All that I've done so far is converted the Video into an Mp3, and a WAV file, and then kept the file the same. I've done some research and have learned that it is indeed possible to remove voices from the video, with a little work and the right program. One of the things that I've found was to try converting the video to an AC3 file and messing with the channels, I'm not really sure how this would work out though. Please help me out as best you can.

Thank you all in advance,

What is the piece of music and what is the origional file format and where did you get it from ?

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    What is the piece of music and what is the origional file format and where did you get it from ?
    Piece of Music from Memoirs of a Geisha, Got it from Youtube, Avi File.

Blog Entries

Amazon.com

Memories of a Geisha Soundtrack $14.99, secondhand available from $4 or mp3 download $9.99

Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    Probably worth noting that many people want to remove things from audio files, most commonly vocals, to create near-karaoke/backing tracks, but the same issue arises where there's a need to remove dialogue from a movie. People often Google it and get told that certain pieces of software can do it - they then get the software and find out it doesn't work. Just for info, most audio editors can do this - but the success is due to way some pieces of music are recorded, not really the cleverness of the software.

Convention says that the vocal in an audio track and the dialogue in a movie are bang in the middle - exactly the same level on the left and right channels of a stereo pair. The music, however is usually in stereo. So the guitar is a little to the right, or the string section is spread with the basses and cellos on one side, and the violins and violas on the other.

All the software has to do is to take the two tracks, and invert the polarity of one of them, then add them together. Something equal in level on both getc cancelled out, but the instruments that are more ones side or the other remain (although reduced a little in level). The end result is the centre sound source either vanishes, or is greatly reduced. Gone too will be any other sound sources that sat in the middle - but usually there is plenty left.

However - if the centre sound source has had stereo reverberation added, then although the main sound gets cut, you get left with the stereo reverberation - leaving a ghostly version of the original - very odd sounding.

Clever software can also apply frequency filtering - so that bass in the centre gets let through, but sounds in the human voice range don't.

Some automated all of this, but you can do this in many of the popular editors - some even have a preset for it.

Always worth a go, but results are variable.
    Well.., how do you suppose I solve this dilemma to the best of my ability?

Quote Originally Posted by DigitallyRetarted713 View Post
    Well.., how do you suppose I solve this dilemma to the best of my ability?
    Simple. Buy a clean copy of the song from the movie's soundtrack. If you have to ask how to solve your dilemma, after the previous discourse on the methodology, then you don't have the audio expertise to do in the first place.
    Last edited by worddigger; 03-06-2010 at 09:50 AM.

audacity is freeware Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder and has the the ability to remove a vocal but the results are mediocre at best.

there are youtube tutorials explaining how to do it.

8. Default

and aside from the mono/stereo fields (brilliant explanation paulears!) its worth noting that the human voice and musical instruments share the same frequencies so taking out the frequency range of the voice is going to block out much of the music ...unless you just wanted to hear the extreme bass tones or super high tones

its best to think of a wave form, a stereo file, as a concrete object, a stone sculpture for example, you simply cannot take out part of the structure without smashing it to bits

Blog Entries

The sensible answer, and the only method that VideoForums would recommend, is to buy the soundtrack.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Default

You can find it here.

Memoirs Of A Geisha Mp3 Downloads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast