Thread: freeze / pause a frame on a pan

1. Default freeze / pause a frame on a pan

I have a clip (event) which is a shot doing a 180 degree pan of the scene. What I want to do is stop the pan at roughly the 90 degree point an pause it as a still frame for about 5 seconds, then smoothly continue the pan.

What would be the best way to achieve this?

Castman
    Uses:
    Canon XH-G1
    Sony Vegas Pro 9e
    gallons of coffee

At the point where you want to hold the shot take a snap shot by clicking on the icon above the preview screen. There are two icons one to save to file and one to save to clipboard. Split the clip at the exact point. Insert the snap shot at that split and stretch the captured photo for the required length.

Thats one way to do it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post

Thats one way to do it.
    And another, of which I've only recently become aware, is to create a subclip of the frame you want to use as a still.

Split the event at the point you want the still.
    Move the right had event to the right - to where you want it to start moving again.
    Zoom right in on the timeline so you can see each frame.
    Create a selection of only the final frame of the left hand event.
    Split and right click - select "create Subclip"
    Now drag the Right hand edge of the subclip you've just created to the right. This simply repeats that single frame for as long as you drag it.

HOWEVER

If you want to slow down to a stop and then graduall7y speed up again, you nee Velocity envelopes.

Right-Click on the event, select insert/remove envelope | Velocity enevelope and let the fun begin.
    Tim

I've just had a horrible thought what if the pause point contains moving objects, people, water etc. It's going to freeze frame that one particular frame for 5 seconds. If this is the effect you want then great. If not it's time for a re-shoot.

5. Default

Thanks for the advice guys.

Mr Blue - I tried the still image but rather oddly I discovered a blip when the still image meets the moving image I think the still image is saved at a ever-so-slightly smaller or maybe large frame size than the moving image frame size (if you follow my drift). As the subject is a view across the horizon of a field maybe it shows up more. Yeah I know I could resize the image using the pan and crop tool but it is so subtle when I try it is just too much.

I did try using the velocity envelop but found I couldn't quite achieve a freeze frame it sort of jiggled from side to side a little.

Tim - I hadn't thought of that one, must be worth a shot!

Castman
    Uses:
    Canon XH-G1
    Sony Vegas Pro 9e
    gallons of coffee

Quote Originally Posted by castman View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys.

Mr Blue - I tried the still image but rather oddly I discovered a blip when the still image meets the moving image I think the still image is saved at a ever-so-slightly smaller or maybe large frame size than the moving image frame size (if you follow my drift).
    One important piece of information I forgot to say was make sure you have your preview set at "best full" before you take the snapshot.

This will ensure the clip will be the same size as the project properties.

Sorry about that. You still have Tims idea which I tried but didn't work for me. The sub clip seemed to be a copy of the whole clip rather than just the last frame so obviously I didn't understand his instructions.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    You still have Tims idea which I tried but didn't work for me. The sub clip seemed to be a copy of the whole clip rather than just the last frame so obviously I didn't understand his instructions.
    I suspect you missed the "Split" instruction in the following bit:

Create a selection of only the final frame of the left hand event.
    Split and right click - select "create Subclip"

This makes a single frame subclip, which is the event you lengthen (thus creating repeating events of one frame in length)
    Tim

Yes I only did one split. I should have split out the singal frame and then made a subclip of that. Thanks Tim.