Thread: out of synch audio

Default out of synch audio

Hey. I created a dvd with pinnacle 9. I had to trottle down the quality a bit to get it fit on a single dvd. In the playback, the audio is out of synch. When the disc was making a couple of other programs where runing. The computer was badly defragmented. Do you think those factors have anything to do with this problem? If I close the other programs (but keep the same tuned down quality specs), do you think the final product will be all synched up? What can I do to correct this? Thanks.
    Dustin

Dustin.

All of the above will cause you problems with any type of video editing program. Your best bet is to defrag your drive completely and if at all possible keep the video footage that you capture on a different drive than your main programs. I always run a defrag before doing any type of editing just to be safe. In addition, I always make sure nothing else (Programs, screen saver etc...) is running when it comes down to rendering no matter how long it takes. I am no expert like these guys on this forum but I can tell you from experience what I am saying works.

Wish you well.

Scooter
    AMD Athlon 3200
    Asus A7N8X Dlux
    ATI Video
    1 Gig Mem
    Windows XP Pro
    2 Seagate ATA 160 Gig HD,1 Maxtor 120 Gig HD
    Sony DRU-510 DVD/CD Burner
    Viewsonic 19\"LCD
    Pinnacle 10 PlusMediaSuite
    PremierPro 1.5 Suite
    Sony HVR-A1U 1080i HDV Camcorder

Well, here's the update. We shut it all off. We even defragmented the drive. We were good boys this time, but the problem persisted. We keep dropping frames. In fact, we have never had a successful capture session. Each time we drop frames. His machine has a 1.5 gig processor and 512 MB of RAM. What could be causing this? I'm beggin for a clue. Thanks.
    Dustin

Dustin:

Unless I am reading something wrong you have two different problems from what you are describing. The first one was when you were creating a DVD and the audio was out of sync and asking if Defrag and other programs will cause problems. YES! The second is in regards to capturing and dropping frames. These are two different issues in my oppinion.

What are you capturing with? Are you going from a Digital Camcorder directly into Pinnacle or using some type of Analog device? Also what are you using to capture with, USB or Firewire?

Firewire is the best way to caputure directly from a Camcorder if that is available. I do not recommend, and many on this site I think will concur, that USB is a NO GO!!!!

Let us know if you can. Also, what are your specs of the machine that you are using so others may be able to help out?

Scooter
    AMD Athlon 3200
    Asus A7N8X Dlux
    ATI Video
    1 Gig Mem
    Windows XP Pro
    2 Seagate ATA 160 Gig HD,1 Maxtor 120 Gig HD
    Sony DRU-510 DVD/CD Burner
    Viewsonic 19\"LCD
    Pinnacle 10 PlusMediaSuite
    PremierPro 1.5 Suite
    Sony HVR-A1U 1080i HDV Camcorder

Scooter
    You're right. It seems that the dropping frames problem has been our main culprit all along. It took us a little time to figure that out. (At first, we were thinking that our badly fragmented harddrive and the other programs we were running caused the unsynchronization.) A little extra attention revealed that this out of synch problem corresponded to the dropped frames. So, now we’re trying to figure out why we keep dropping frames. (As I said, we have never captured that we did not drop frames.) The machine is clean: recently defragmented, 1.5 gig processor, and 512 MB RAM. It completely escapes me how we drop frames. (And we’re talking dropping major frames, like 500!)

We’re using a Super VHS camcorder on playback mode. The capture card is the pinnacle studio 9 capture card (no sure of the exact name; it came with his studio 9 deluxe package).

On a side note: this pinnacle card is does not hook up to Movie Maker. We tried to capture the footage in Movie Maker, but the .avi capture feature was grayed out. Any ideas about that?
    Dustin

Ok, looks to me like it'll be out of sync due to the dropped frames. Whether it is or not, you need to sort the dropped frames first.

You're using pinnacle to do an analogue capture, right? Try something else. Try, oh, i dunno, IUvcr. I hear it's dead good.

Your pc should be fast enough to capture to DV avi, or huffyuv or something similar. Once it's on the pc, check the sync.

Once you've authored the dvd, you should be able to do anything with the pc while it's burning, it shouldn't have any side effects other than to slow the pc down.
    AMD Athlon 1700 (@2200mhz from 1466 sod the noise!) - 768mb pc3200 - 200GB Maxtor - Pioneer 106 - GF4 Ti4200 - twinhan/visionplus pci dvb-t - random pci analogue tv tuner - A7v600-x (to replace the a7n8x-d that died...) - random 17\" CRT
    Sony STR-DE425 & Eltax c205s;
    xBox w/20GB HDD- executer 2.3b;
    xBox - standard;
    Konica/Minolta dimage z10 w/2x512mb SD;
    iRiver h340;
    A silly amount of Cat-5 and usb cables