Thread: Good software for creating cartoons?

Default Good software for creating cartoons?

Hi

I'm a musician with a song I'd like to do a cartoon film for. I would like to find some good software that would allow me to draw images on-screen to that end. I've already got Adobe 2, but I'm wondering if there are any other programmes that would be better for me. It must be simple to use as I don't want to spend a lot of time learning how to use a complicated programme.

When you say cartoon do you mean like Tom & Jerry or some sort of abstract animation.

I can't advise you but I thought it would be a good idea for you to be a little more specific so when the animators on the forum read your thread it would help them to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    When you say cartoon do you mean like Tom & Jerry or some sort of abstract animation.

I can't advise you but I thought it would be a good idea for you to be a little more specific so when the animators on the forum read your thread it would help them to help you.
    Thanks MB. Yes, I'm thinking more of the Tom & Jerry sort of thing. I'm a musician, and I've just released a single that I'd like to get a film done for. I drew a still image (in Adobe) for the artwork for the song, and although I'm not an artist, it does the job in conveying the message. What I'd like to find out is if there are any programmes that would help me create a very simple cartoon animation film based on the image I've already produced. The end result I'm looking for is not anywhere near as sophisticated as the Tom & Jerry films (which are obviously masterpieces). Rather, I'd be producing very simple, child-like drawings (because that's all I'm capable of!) and wanting to link/animate these together to tell the song's story.

It sounds like a very ambitious first project, I just don't have the patience to do animation but if there is some software out there that can help you that would be great.

Blog Entries

Take a look here and scroll down to 2D animation. Quite a few free programs. Creatoon may suit you (as may others, but I've looked at CreaToon)

EDIT: Forgot to mention these are FREE
    Tim

Thanks Tim!

I suiggest you download the one month trial demo of Adobe After Effects.

Since CS3 there is a feature in there called the 'puppet tool'. This will allow you to turn any layer into am esh of little triangles (internally of course) specify 'pin' positions and using thos epin positions as joints in your layer you can animate the thing in time to music or whatever by moving it around in real time.

i.e poin the should, waist, elbow and wrist of a pictuire of a poerson and you can grab the hand woith teh mouse and move it about in real time and the position are remebered and the whole thing moves the entire arm in an organic way. Relly cool and really fun.

I;m sure you can google "After Effects puppet tool" or similar and find some good tutorials on this.

And if this works it will save you drawing 24 frames per second too.

8. Default

I've been using Flash Pro 8 since 4 years ago, and I love it. It's really easy to learn on too.