Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Uploading HDV widescreen to YouTube

1. Default Uploading HDV widescreen to YouTube

We're now in a position to render & upload our 2nd music video to YouTube.
    With the first one which was in SD we used Vegas's mp4 standard template successfully but this new video is HDV widescreen.
    If anyone does this regularly & knows the optimum settings for best quality we would love him forever

Sarah & Allison & Tina

What are your project settings ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah & Allison View Post
    We're now in a position to render & upload our 2nd music video to YouTube.
    With the first one which was in SD we used Vegas's mp4 standard template successfully but this new video is HDV widescreen.
    If anyone does this regularly & knows the optimum settings for best quality we would love him forever

Sarah & Allison & Tina
    I upload my HDs to YouTube using the default .WMV V9 4.5 Mbps HD 720-24p render setting in Sony Vegas:

Audio: 192 Kbps, 48,000 Hz, 16 Bit Stereo
    Video: 23.976 fps, 1280x720, WMV V9 CBR compression, Bit Rate 4.8 M

I have used these settings on the last 8 HD videos I have uploaded to YouTube and they look great on YouTube's render, after YouTube completes final processing of the upload. Check out a couple of these videos on my website and see the quality for yourself.

4. Default

Thanks for reply Midnight

Our project settings are ( I'm listing them all cos I dont know what half of them mean!):
    Template: HDV 1080-60i 1440x 1080, 29.970fps
    Field order: Upper field first
    Pixel aspect ratio: 1.3333
    Frame Rate: 29.970 (NTSC)
    Pixel Format: 8 bit
    Rendering Quality: Best
    Motion Blur: Gaussian
    Deinterlace method: Blend fields

Audio:
    Stereo
    No. of stereo buses:0
    Sample Rate 44,100khz
    Bit Depth 16
    Resample & stretch quality: Best

Worddigger, your link to your site doesnt seem to be working but we have always been very impressed with the quality of the videos you've posted here.
    So if your settings are compatible with our project properties we'd be eager to try them. Are they?

Sarah

There is a preset when you select Sony AVC as the format called YouTube HD. Most of the settings are right for your project. Just click on custom to check all the settings match. You can reduce the bit rate to around 9,000,000 which would be good enough for YouTube even though the preset template has 15,000,000. This will keep the file size down a bit without loosing quality.

On the system tab select mp4. and on project tab make sure best is selected.

I'm curious to know why your project is 29.970 fps. When the usual PAL frame rate is 25fps.

6. Default

We dont seem to have this YouTube preset you mention.
    The nearest I can find is "Internet 16:9 HD 25p"?

Have we screwed things up by using Vegas's default setting of NTSC?
    When we started out all we knew was that PAL was a British standard & NTSC was American, & as YouTube was largely US dominated we thought in our ignorance our videos would benefit from NTSC.
    Is this a problem now?

Sarah

I don't think it's going to kill the project so don't worry but it is best not to alter the frame rate that it was originally shot in.

So if your camera shoots at 25fps your project settings should be 25fps and final render normally at 25fps. I can't advise you to go back to 25fps now as I don't know what affect this might have on your project.

Usually the software, when rendering will either add or take away frames if you have mixed media etc. this can often be un-noticeable but can sometimes cause a little jerkiness. So cross your fingers that this project will be fine.

Yes you can use the Internet HD template. Just make sure the settings match the project settings like I said before.

I hope it works out ok for you. I won't be able to appreciate the glory of 1080 HD as my computer can't play it but I'm sure I'll enjoy it at a lower resolution.

8. Default

Thanks for all the information Midnight we really appreciate your help.

I'm not sure our camera shoots at 25 fps, it's set to the HDV setting not the HDV(PF25) setting. It's a Canon HV30. So are we right to use the NTSC settings in Vegas?

Sarah

The standard frame rate for the camera will depend on whether you've got the PAL or the NTSC version. If you got it from your local camera shop I would have thought it would be the PAL version which would mean you are shooting at 25fps. If you got a bargain from the internet who knows !

To find out for sure just right click a clip of the original captured video on the time line and select properties. On the general tab it will tell you the frame rate that was captured. It's under the word Streams on the Video line it tells you the length of the clip then the frame rate, interlaced or progressive and then the size.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 03-01-2010 at 01:43 PM.

10. Default

Sorry I'm a bit confused.
    To summarise:
    Our camera shoots in 25fps PAL HDV
    Our vegas project settings are for 29.970 fps NTSC HDV
    Should our render settings be the same as our project settings,
    ie: should we use the Internet 16:9 HD 25p or 30p setting?

You deserve a medal for all this.

Sarah

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast